Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

City Permit Costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who have successfully installed their Solar Panels (8.16kw here), did you have to pay permit costs directly for your respective city?

I'm in Campbell and the city sent me a Permit Invoice directly vs Tesla. I thought all permits were lumped in to the original cost of the project and I wasn't sure if I had to pay this, or Tesla will eventually write the check to my local city.

I've been on hold multiple days for hours on end (888-518-3752) without anyone picking up to answer this simple question . Naturally I also tried to e-mail [email protected] without a response.

Campbell has been aggressive of letting me know if that if I do not pay my application within 2 days my application becomes invalid and the perpetual cycle of delays starts over.

Thanks in advance.

Wow that’s crazy. Our permit fees have been handled through Tesla, except for the main panel upgrade that our electrican took out for that work that he did; he paid for it and included it in his bill. Tesla has now taken out 2 permits for us, one the orginal solar/2 PWs and then the second one for the additional one. Never been contacted for payment by the city and in our contract it’s included in our Tesla Energy contract.

We’re SF bay area as well. Call TE at 877 571 7652. Have your energy order number ready. Anyone should be able to help you. The automated message will ask for your zip code to route the call for those handling your area. Good luck.

Reactions: jboy210
Tesla has paid ours. Total is around $1000 for solarglass roof and 2 Powerwalls according to the citiy's permit web site.

Do you have the number of the project scheduler/coordinator Tesla assigned to your project?

Oddly I only have my order #, never got the contact of my PC assigned. I did receive a text from a random Tesla rep who stated they can bypass the site survey because our roof was brand new (under 3 years old) but its been a pretty spartan experience in terms of communication from Tesla. Hopefully it's just the events due to the week of the 4th, and this will normalize. Appreciate the reply!

For those who have successfully installed their Solar Panels (8.16kw here), did you have to pay permit costs directly for your respective city?

I'm in Campbell and the city sent me a Permit Invoice directly vs Tesla. I thought all permits were lumped in to the original cost of the project and I wasn't sure if I had to pay this, or Tesla will eventually write the check to my local city.

I've been on hold multiple days for hours on end (888-518-3752) without anyone picking up to answer this simple question . Naturally I also tried to e-mail [email protected] without a response.

Campbell has been aggressive of letting me know if that if I do not pay my application within 2 days my application becomes invalid and the perpetual cycle of delays starts over.

Thanks in advance.

It should be handled by Tesla, if they were your installer. I had a different number for my coordination person but Maybe call energy support and see if they can give you a better number? Energy support always seems to answer

Oddly I only have my order #, never got the contact of my PC assigned. I did receive a text from a random Tesla rep who stated they can bypass the site survey because our roof was brand new (under 3 years old) but its been a pretty spartan experience in terms of communication from Tesla. Hopefully it's just the events due to the week of the 4th, and this will normalize. Appreciate the reply!

If you city has one, you might want to check on the permit status on their permit website. On our cities you just punch in your street or address and select the permit. That gives you all sorts of information like how much was paid and when, inspections done, pending paperwork, etc. It is a way for the homeowner to stay somewhat in the loop. .

Last edited:
If you city has one, you might want to check on the permit status on their permit website. On our cities you just punch in your street or address and select the permit. That gives you all sorts of information like how much, inspections done, pending paperwork, etc. It is a way for the homeowner to stay somewhat in the loop. Because you can't pay the final bill and get permission to operate (turn on the solar) until the final inspection is done.

Thanks for the guidance, will have to look it up. Also appreciate the reply JJR. Sounds like I need to connect the city with Tesla so they can play bank and bill collector. Back to the waiting game!

FYI Tesla Energy did away with individual assigned reps, maybe a few months ago.

We started out with a super knowledgeable, helpful guy when we were at the pre-contract stage. Spoke with him a few times and then Tesla reorganized how things would work. We were informed of this by several people working there. You call into the Energy phone number I posted above, provide your zip, and it routes you to the first person working on orders in your area. We have spoken to TE several times since then and they have for the most part been quick to pick up. One time during middle of the day we waited for 20 minutes to talk to someone. Probably just depends like other places you call and get put on hold. NO idea given however how long the wait will be which some systems will estimate, so that was kind of a negative. Any person who answers can pull up your order number and review the notes on it. So far have found everyone to be professional, nice to speak with, helpful and for the most part could answer our questions. Sometimes it will require them sending a message to another section like someone who does the roof design or handles the permitting. They don’t transfer you around from person to person however. Think only once have we spoken to the same person when we’ve called in.

I think with counties moving through the Phase variances and things opening up more with solar work and inspections, the new solar panels being announced along with new lower pricing, they are getting swamped though. Called them last week on our permit status and scheduling and we weren’t on hold long.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin