Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear-coat problem on matt black wheel.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kerbed my wheel in multi story 3 weeks ago. I decided to leave any diy repair it until the weather improves. Today I noticed the clear-coat had flaked off about 1-2cm from the damage. When touched the clear just continued to crack off. Does this sound like a manufacturing defect?

IMG_20240402_111433182.jpg
IMG_20240402_111400491.jpg

Water, salt, whatever has been able to get under the previously sealed lacquer, which has compromised it.

This can happen with significant stone (rock) chips as well. It can sometimes happen on undamaged wheels I think, if contaminants get under the lacquer during manufacture/refurbishment.

Sadly with the kerb damage you are probably on a hiding to nothing getting Tesla to resolve it under warranty.

I know but it just seems odd that these 2 paint layers don't bond and the lacquer is brittle. I am sure working from existing damage I could chip the whole lot off the wheel if i tried so its hard to imagine something can get under the lacquer when it could be cm away? I have seen it on resprayed car panels and it is always put down to poor preparation, I don't believe it has happened on original vehicle paint but feel free to 'chip' in? (Sorry) Anyway its a word of warning. This damage was similar to what might occurr during tyre changes.