Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

clearcoat scratches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Got some scratches down the side of my model Y. Every panel!

This was due to a bush on a country road. It hasn't penetrated the clear coat so was wondering what the best product would be to get rid of these. Scratch X gets good reviews?

Alternatively I could pay someone to machine polish them out I suppose.

Thanks

You’ve two options, you can use a micro bead filler like autoglym super resin polish. It’s easy to apply, non destructive to the paint, works ok on very light scratches, but doesn't last that long. The second method is to polish away clear coat so the edges of the scratches are smooth or you’ve dropped the clear coat level to below the scratch (think sanding out a mark on wood). This is destructive, usually best done with an orbital polisher, but things like scratch x do work but aren’t very well controlled. You can only do it so many times as you’re removing the surface

If you want to remove permanently, it would take a detailer or paint shop as little as 10 mins to buff out a mild scratch, obviously a lot longer if you want the whole car doing.

If you’re unsure, I’d start with the super resin polish as you can’t really do any harm. I’d be wary about scratch x etc on large areas.

Reactions: M1tch
Got some scratches down the side of my model Y. Every panel!

This was due to a bush on a country road. It hasn't penetrated the clear coat so was wondering what the best product would be to get rid of these. Scratch X gets good reviews?

Alternatively I could pay someone to machine polish them out I suppose.
I did the same thing. I had a local body shop remove the scratches. They did great work and it wasn't expensive. Maybe $30.

White.

Not sure what the difference Is between scratch x and ultimate compound.
Scratchx aims to be an all in one, I found it wasn't tough enough to deal with deep scratches, although I did manage to do a good amount of damage :)

I left a small square of coarse grit sandpaper on a bench, then put a microfibre on top of it. Later I picked it up to wipe something off the boot lip and made some deep scratches. ScratchX wasn't doing it, Ultimate Compound on a foam pad connected to a drill did the trick, polish then brings it back to a shine.

Start with the least aggressive / abrasive polishing compound you can find and, if this doesn't work, move up the scale.

Autoglym Silicon Polish is very mildly abrasive and, on light scratchs, applied with a soft (regularly turned) microfibre cloth, after 2 or 3 passes of polishing I find it very effective at removing (not filling!) light scratches.