Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking coming from center console turns out to be a battery from previous owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TwoOneSevn

Supporting Member
Jun 13, 2024
Los Angeles, CA
New owner of a used '21 MY, 31K miles from Tesla with warranty until 60K miles or June '26. Took delivery on 5/31/24. After driving the car off the lot I noticed a type of strong clicking noise coming from under the center console whenever I would accelerate or decelerate. I would get progressively heavier after long driving periods. Scheduled service after finding other users reporting same issue.

Service date: explained to service tm where the noise is coming from and showed him a video. He suggested it might be the center axle that needs some greasing and it is a common issue. I expected it to be covered under warranty.

Upon service completion it is determined that a household AA battery had fallen into one of the vents under the passenger seat and I was charged for removal of the item since it was not a mechanical issue. $127 for that, after having experienced the issue since delivery and a supposed inspection. I tried asking the service tm to waive the charge but she apologetically repeated that due to it not being a mechanical issue they would have to charge me.

Disappointed but glad the clicking is now gone. Car is driving like a dream