Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking rear axle & possible fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
I’ve noticed recently that I hear a clicking noise from my left rear wheel when going thru a drive-thru lane. It only happens at very low speed and is synchronized with the tire rotation.

Looking around TMC, I see discussions about this problem with M3 and MS, but no mention of this with MX. The problem seems to be with the axle nut not being torqued to spec or with the splines in the hub bearing but not the CV joints.

I tried re-torqueing the rear axle nut. I have a torque wrench capable of 180 ft-lbs, and purchased a 32 mm axle socket for $17. I found that both rear axle nuts required tightening to reach 180 ft-lbs. The axle nuts can be tightened and on the ground by popping off the center wheel caps. The clicking noise seems to have stopped. Others have reported that this work’s temporarily, and if so the next step is to try cleaning & lubricating the axle splines.

Also, the thread in the Model 3 discussions about rear axle clicking include a video of someone loosening the axle nut, pressing in the axle end & forcing grease back into the splines to quiet the clicking. I found this in the Tesla Model X rear CV axle remove/replace instructions:

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 3.28.03 PM.jpg

So, at least on MX, putting lube on the outer axle splines goes against Tesla's repair procedures.