Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model x steering wheel clicking sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

john9000

Oct 23, 2023
TX
I went to Tesla for repairs due to a half-axle noise issue. After the first repair, the noise persisted. Following the second repair, the noise was reduced, but when Tesla returned the car to me, I discovered a steering wheel noise as shown in the video. For the third time, I returned to Tesla for repairs, and they finally resolved the half-axle noise problem. However, they provided an estimate of around $5000 for repairing the steering wheel noise. I believe that Tesla damaged my steering gear during the half-axle repair because I never had this issue before the repair, and the noise occurred when Tesla returned the car to me. However, Tesla firmly denies their responsibility. Can you tell me what the issue with my steering wheel noise is, and if it's due to Tesla's incorrect half-axle repair, do you have a solution?

This is a wear related fault of the steering rack. It is internal and not serviceable. Unfortunately no company remanufactures Tesla steering racks, as far as I know, so a new $3k+ part is the only solution. To get the rack out you have to pull the subframe, to pull the subframe you have to pull the HV battery, and then you'll need an alignment. I have had two cars with this and never bothered to fix it. Usually it will only make noise when loads are high such as turning the wheel when the car is stationary.

What month and year was your X built? What is your current mileage?