Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking sound while turning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled an SC visit for next week, after failing to locate the source myself on a lift.

Endlinks, new sway bars, all control arm bushings, all suspension components etc appear undamaged and do not click or clunk when tested in the air.

In my case, the clicks seen in this thread seem to be coming from the passenger's side (most likely front, potentially back)... but are not cyclical... only a single click when turning the steering wheel lock to lock... especially turning left and only over uneven concrete plate garage floors.

This click is not the well known axle nut click on/off acceleration, but sounds very much like it. Will see and report back what parts get lubricated, tightened or replaced the 1st 2nd nth visit as this latest click comes back over the coming months.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
Update after the initial service center appointment:

Car went in this morning and both the front and rear suspension was inspected on a lift, everything re-torqued, etc.

Techs found nothing wrong and were unable to locate the source of the clicks. Confirmed its not the axle nuts and not the more recent brake caliper retainer clips click issues. Saw nothing wrong with either front or the rear suspension assemblies. Great and NOT great.

Now, just as others reported, the noise seemed gone when pulling out of the SC (tried the usual immediate replication steps)... but.... as soon as I got home, CLICK, CLICK, TICK, CLICK. Gotta love it.

While here and maybe more importantly....

PSA and word of warning for anyone with as simple as an aftermarket end link, or sway bar, or toe arm, control arm, even a $@&# poly bushing!

SCs have been advised to flag cars with aftermarket modifications and deny any/all warranty work for the entire front or rear (or both) suspension assemblies if modifications are found. Their process calls for recording this in their system like a crime conviction. And once on record, going back to stock does nothing for warranty work anywhere near the component.

My Eibach FSB/RSB in screaming red (ugh, wish they were boring OE black), brackets and bushings, nearly cost me dearly... good that I know two senior techs and the SC coordinator. They still didnt want to cover any fixes under warranty, but since they were unable to locate what to replace, they waived the diagnostic and labor fees.
Could easily have been an ultra expensive waste of an SC trip.

• Informative
Reactions: Dolemite
Update after the initial service center appointment:

Car went in this morning and both the front and rear suspension was inspected on a lift, everything re-torqued, etc.

Techs found nothing wrong and were unable to locate the source of the clicks. Confirmed its not the axle nuts and not the more recent brake caliper retainer clips click issues. Saw nothing wrong with either front or the rear suspension assemblies. Great and NOT great.

Now, just as others reported, the noise seemed gone when pulling out of the SC (tried the usual immediate replication steps)... but.... as soon as I got home, CLICK, CLICK, TICK, CLICK. Gotta love it.

While here and maybe more importantly....

PSA and word of warning for anyone with as simple as an aftermarket end link, or sway bar, or toe arm, control arm, even a $@&# poly bushing!

SCs have been advised to flag cars with aftermarket modifications and deny any/all warranty work for the entire front or rear (or both) suspension assemblies if modifications are found. Their process calls for recording this in their system like a crime conviction. And once on record, going back to stock does nothing for warranty work anywhere near the component.

My Eibach FSB/RSB in screaming red (ugh, wish they were boring OE black), brackets and bushings, nearly cost me dearly... good that I know two senior techs and the SC coordinator. They still didnt want to cover any fixes under warranty, but since they were unable to locate what to replace, they waived the diagnostic and labor fees.
Could easily have been an ultra expensive waste of an SC trip.
That’s not good... the guys at my SC are great and I hope it doesn’t come to this. I always wondered if I came in with aftermarket parts if they’d log it and I’d be hosed forever when it came to suspension issues... if anyone else has any input it’d be great to hear. When does this become a moot point? 4 years/50K miles?

Regarding the click. I recently went in, again. They told me unequivocally that this was a result of debris accumulating between the rotor and the hub through the extra holes in the rotor hat. Shocking part is that I’m inclined to believe them... it’s the only way that it can come back the way it does after a few hundred miles when crap accumulates again. I’ll make a more detailed posts about this when I get some time - but that’s the gist of it. Look at your brake rotor hat and the channel that’s machined into the hub... it’s difficult (impossible?) for stuff to get out once it’s in. I’m not crystal clear on all the details, but i suspect that with time/movement, *sugar* works it’s way between some seriously load-bearing parts and gets crushed as the wheel rotates? I still think it’s benign, but annoying. If it’s indeed the issue, I think I should be able to come up with a way to permanently resolve it.

Reactions: Perscitus
I wonder if that is indeed the case, but why would the click be periodic and under specific conditions only then?

I also wish we had good aftermarket endlinks from SuperPro (effectively beefed up OEMs with poly pillows or bushings where applicable). None of this adjustable and metal on metal junk everyone else offers.

I reached out to SuperPro and although there is no ETA... they are developing their HD endlinks for our cars and control arms with their bushings already pressed in etc.

Turns out the owner of the company for 40 past years now owns a couple of Teslas and getting our cars added to the product suite has been his pet project for past year or so.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS