Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking rattle from driver side door panel, possible B-pillar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently my MY developed this clicking/rattle on the driver side door (or possibly B-pillar). It seems to happen when the car has been out in the heat for a bit as it does not seem to happen in the morning. It doesn't happen all the time either, and that's what's making it difficult to reproduce and isolate. I've taken it to Tesla service twice now. First time it was in the morning, and so the test drive didn't have the issue. Second time, during the test drive the SA said he can kind of hear it, but the service note said they could not reproduce it again (I suspect that they test drove it in the morning when they went to fix it), and said they found some possible culprit in the B-pillar and taped it. Unfortunately, it's still there, so I have a 3rd service appointment scheduled. It's driving me crazy because the sound is right there next to me 😠

Was wondering if anyone might recognize this clicking/rattle noise in this video I recorded. It's less obvious when I uploaded it to YouTube but you can hear it if you turn up your volume, but on my phone and in the car, it's very noticeable and distinct

Last edited:
I took the door panel off and looked. After taking it off and looking at what could possibly make that noise, I noticed that the wire loom sticker labels were loose and the sound of the sticker label sticking and coming off sounded like it could make that type of clicking noise. I cut and removed the sticker label on the wire loom and used foam sticker to pad all the wiring paths that had any potential of rattling against anything. This seems to have reduced the ticking/rattle, but it's still there slightly. I feel like the sound is now coming from the B-pillar area. I need to find a video on how to remove the B-pillar panel to have a look there as well. Haven't gotten around to this yet as the clicking/ticking noise is much less now after my first fix attempt.

Unfortunately Tesla SC has not been helpful after multiple visits as the noise is intermittent and they are never able to reproduce it.

I wrote a post on adding the Fitcamx dash camera and included a link to a good video of someone taking down the headliner (what there is of it) and the cover at the top of the B pillar. The part covering the bottom of the B pillar has one screw to undo and that's hidden by the trim for the top part

Basically (apart from that screw) you just grab hold of stuff and yank on it. Pretty scary really, but it does come off cleanly - well it should do lol

Reactions: awd_rails