Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close Encounter With Roadside Mowing [what is this going to cost to fix?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, Saturday I had a close encounter with a projectile coming from a John Deer Tractor mowing the grass along the roadside. Not sure how they can fix this damage or what kind of cost will be involved. The owner of the company called me right away and said tossed an estimate and he will write a check. Personally I think he is going to hyperventilate once he sees the estimate. Fortunately it wasn't higher because I don't think my passenger would have faired very well.

Opinions on the repair possibility and cost? Waiting for an estimate from Tesla in Tampa. I'll update once I receive it.
IMG_8442.jpeg
IMG_8440.jpeg

That is a sizeable "owwee". It might require a whole new rocker panel. Have you gone to a Tesla auto body shop for an estimate? I don’t think anyone here is an official repair "estimator", but if I were a betting man, I'd be guessing $5-8K to match it up. What year and trim is your 3? Did the mower person take any responsibility?

That is a sizeable "owwee". It might require a whole new rocker panel. Have you gone to a Tesla auto body shop for an estimate? I don’t think anyone here is an official repair "estimator", but if I were a betting man, I'd be guessing $5-8K to match it up. What year and trim is your 3? Did the mower person take any responsibility?
Yes the mower stopped, called his supervisor and the owner of the company doing the work for the state called. Asked to be presented with an estimate and he would write a check. My issue is supplementals once they get into the repair. Just have a paint scrape on my motor home repaired last month. Someone side-shipped it while at a Bucee's Insurance estimate was $7300, supplemental paint work was an additional $5,000. That is what I would worry about taking check from him. Through an insurance claim I'm covered. After the first check this guy could tell me to pound sand regarding any extra money that might be needed to repair hidden damage.

2021 M3LR with Accel Boost

Yes the mower stopped, called his supervisor and the owner of the company doing the work for the state called. Asked to be presented with an estimate and he would write a check. My issue is supplementals once they get into the repair. Just have a paint scrape on my motor home repaired last month. Someone side-shipped it while at a Bucee's Insurance estimate was $7300, supplemental paint work was an additional $5,000. That is what I would worry about taking check from him. Through an insurance claim I'm covered. After the first check this guy could tell me to pound sand regarding any extra money that might be needed to repair hidden damage.

2021 M3LR with Accel Boost
At least you have an “accountable party” for now. Hoping it all goes well for you. Best of luck. 🤞🏼

Well, the owner of the mower business investigated and it was not a failed blade. The inside rocker which is hardened steel and has to have a cold repair was also damaged. They consulted Tesla engineering on the repair and will have to precisely cut out the damaged area and the surrounding area. They are ordering the whole side of the car and will cut out the section from the new part that needs to be replaced. The car has been at Tesla since the beginning of October. The initial inspection produced an estimate of $11k (basically outer rocker and paint). Tesla has already submitted one supplemental bringing the total to near $20K. They have another one to submit but the insurance company told them to wait for completion. The completion date is now Dec 22. The other party's insurance company has been supplying a rental. I just have had to get used to pumping gas again!