Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to Tesla Model 3 for 100k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do have solar @ about $0.14/kWh (small system almost 13 years old, about 3.2kW optimum - currently there's two 185W panels offline). And yes I don't drive much but if you've been reading my posts over the last couple of years, I charge at a local ChargePoint with my CHAdeMO adapter at $0.19. That's why I haven't installed my Gen2 WC and I'm on a non-EV rate.

Reactions: cwerdna and ucmndd
jay1122 said:
I am actually curious which buyer pays $25K+ for a 100K miles model 3.
CarMax

Beware - CarMax (and most online places) does NOT honor online quotes.
BTDT last fall.
They give you an attractive "trade in" price, then invite you for an "inspection". Then the offer drops by $5-10K due to "market conditions".

Also, if you do nationwide search on CarMax for Model 3's under 100K miles ... you wont find anything that has more than 59K miles.
That is because CarMax does not buy high-mileage cars, defined as anything above 60K miles:

a

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
You folks in California are stuck with some sucky electric rates. We pay $0.12/kWh here in North Carolina, making a Tesla very economical to drive indeed.
Yup, CA has the fourth highest cost of living by state. One reason is the electric companies were responsible for deadly wildfires. They get fined and the customer gets stuck paying the fines for them. I dont know if thats really true but does seem plausible.
Screenshot_20230820_065145_Chrome.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is a the crazy price fluctuations and the affect of the tax credit. I bought a brand new model 3 for $28220 a few weeks ago (including tax credit). A year ago during the insane EV pricing bubble that same vehicle would have been nearly $50k. Prices have fallen steeply and tax credits are in full force now, that will have an effect on the market.

Or at least, it should. I still see used 3s listed for $35k on marketplace every day.

Yup, CA has the fourth highest cost of living by state. One reason is the electric companies were responsible for deadly wildfires. They get fined and the customer gets stuck paying the fines for them. I dont know if thats really true but does seem plausible. View attachment 966765
Makes sense. They're utilities, the state can't let them go out of business, so costs eventually get passed to the consumer, including fines and penalties.

Cost of Living Index by State [Updated June 2023]
From that same website, I sorted the state ranking by Utility Costs. Looks like coastal states get the highest utility costs.
1692546660524.jpeg

Reactions: zoomer0056
Beware - CarMax (and most online places) does NOT honor online quotes.
I have had nothing but positive experiences with CarMax, both buying and selling.
That is because CarMax does not buy high-mileage cars, defined as anything above 60K miles:
They pretty famously will buy practically anything - even if they just wholesale it and don’t resell themselves.

As for the 60k number, I just bought a Subaru Crosstrek from them last month with 75k miles and there are countless vehicles available on their site well north of that number so this claim seems fabricated.