Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

clueless to power outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the mobile app this morning, I realize now that we had a 1/2 grid outage. I was working from home all day and didn't notice it. clocks didn't blink and modem/router never recycled.

This is great because the PW's are obviously working beautifully as designed.

However, my concern is that we could be running the washer/dryer and electric range when power goes out. 27.5kWh isn't going to last very long if the house is drawing 5KW+ continuous from the batteries.

I can't believe that there is no alert notification for grid outages. Such a simple piece of code for Tesla to write.

Looking at the mobile app this morning, I realize now that we had a 1/2 grid outage. I was working from home all day and didn't notice it. clocks didn't blink and modem/router never recycled.

This is great because the PW's are obviously working beautifully as designed.

However, my concern is that we could be running the washer/dryer and electric range when power goes out. 27.5kWh isn't going to last very long if the house is drawing 5KW+ continuous from the batteries.

I can't believe that there is no alert notification for grid outages. Such a simple piece of code for Tesla to write.

I have gotten alerts via the app when grid power goes down. Do you have notifications turned on in the Tesla app?

As @Az_Rael mentioned, there are notifications available. With that said, I wonder if there's a load or time limit before the notification is sent. My app shows three outages since July but we only received notifications for the first two outages (when installing and testing the system). Those outages were 14 minutes and 8 minutes and our devices showed when we lost power and when it was restored. We had a real outage on November 29th that was only 5 minutes but there was no notification received.

It would be nice if more urgent notifications could be sent if you using a lot of power as you mention. Also, it would be nice if our Teslas could be notified automatically of an outage and then stop charging automatically. We could override it, if necessary or allow it to get a minimum charge but we don't want the Powerwalls to be totally drained by the cars.

when i click the gear icon in the mobile app it brings me to a settings page that has Inbox and Loot Box ...and a signout button. That is it.
iPhone or Android? My instructions are for Android. I don't know if it's different for iPhone.

I see:
Screenshot_20181219-124746_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
that is so odd...... is there more than one app? this is what mine looks like...View attachment 362281
The options displayed are dynamic, depending on what products you have. In my case, I have 4 products so mine shows "Switch Product". I think @miimura has one car and a Powerwall (or more) and sees the option to switch to the other product. The icon changes so I believe @miimura has a car selected so the option is shown to switch to the Powerwall(s). If you look at mine, it shows I have the Powerwall currently selected and can switch to one of the cars.

I would expect you to have a notifications option. There could be a bug in the app preventing that option from appearing. Are you able to normally see your Powerwalls, the Power Flow screen, the Energy Usage screen, etc.?