Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

clueless to power outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots from before we bought our car, but now that I think back I don't remember seeing the notifications menu back then. I don't remember when they officially added it to the app, though. It might also have been before they added the feature.

After facing the same dilemma outlined in the OP, I decided to write my own monitoring script using the local API to proactively detect a grid outage and send notifications to my phone and other parts of my house.

Originally, I was using an Android box (Minix Neo X5) and Tasker to monitor every minute.....but after Telsa added SSL to the local API, I had to change this (older Android boxes have a hard time with the unsigned cert).

Now, I have a lua script running off a Vera Plus home automation controller every 20 seconds to detect a grid outage. If the script is unable to contact the battery or the battery reports a grid outage, notifications are dispatched to my phone and audible notifications to different parts of my house (along with changing some LED bulbs to flashing red lights). Once grid power is restored, the lights are changed back and notifications are dispatched to let everyone know the power is back on.

There have been some false-positives with this approach (such as when they perform a firmware upgrade) but I've slowly been tuning the script to detect and account for these. Getting proactive notifications on a firmware upgrade has been helpful though.

I'm happy to help guide someone through a similar setup if they are interested.

Last edited:
I have a Powerwall and that’s my only Tesla product. Running iOS 12.x, Tesla app 3.8.0. I do have a notifications option. I don’t think it’s always quick to send the notification, however. My last outage was on 11/5 and I don’t recall the alert.

44284034-EFF2-4AF7-9AA4-B84B2FB13CB3.png

I just noticed the screenshot I posted was from version 3.7.0 from my iPad; I have 3.8.0 on my iPhone and it looks the same

I have a Powerwall and that’s my only Tesla product. Running iOS 12.x, Tesla app 3.8.0. I do have a notifications option. I don’t think it’s always quick to send the notification, however. My last outage was on 11/5 and I don’t recall the alert.

View attachment 363818