Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunk noise from behind when accelerating/deaccelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody!

I'm having trouble with locating a problem on my Roadster.

From the point of letting off and feeding the accelerator (and the other way around), there is a clunk noise from behind.

The car has done 153.000km/95.000miles and works perfect besides from this.

After owning a couple of different Roadsters over the years, I've always thought that noise to be standard for the drive unit when switching from normal to regenerative breaking. I definitely hear it more in my 2.0 than I did in my 2.5's (due to the increased sound proofing in the 2.5).

This is my second Roadster and my previous one did the same thing, so I thought it was just how they were built. But my brothers Roadster does not have this sound. I've checked with a third Roadster as well and it does not have this 'clunk'.

So I believe there must be a solution for this?

It could be the coupling between the Motor and the Transmission, this is an internal connection so not visible, get your local Tesla Workshop to inspect.
I had the same noise on mine and it needed replacement, removal of the Motor was required

Check the rear tie rods for play. The car will seem to drift in one direction under acceleration, and the other during deceleration. When they get worn out they do tend to clunk.

Already done the tie rods as I had slack in them. I thought that the noise was coming from them as well, so I was a bit confused when I was done with the job.