Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new MXLR, noise from drivers side front.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought home a new 2023 MXLR yesterday and this morning we noticed a creaking noise from the front drivers wheel area. We put in a service request, but they won’t get us in until mid February, so a month wait to get a 2 day old car repaired. The good news is that I crawled under while my wife moved the wheel back and forth and it sounds like it’s coming from the suspension area, so I don’t think the wheel is going to fly off going down road. I didn’t notice a shimmy in the wheel, but do hear it when moving the wheel back and forth while still, turning or hitting bumps when driving slowly and when letting off the accelerator. I know, “put in a service request,” but since I’m 3 hours from the Raleigh SC and have to wait a month to get in, I’m curious if anyone else has had this issue and if it got worse until the car was undrivable or unsafe.

I pulled the front tire and while having someone move it back and forth I could feel the clunk, mostly in the fore link assembly where it is attached to the framework. The bolt didn’t feel loose by hand, but I’m wondering if it isn’t torqued as it should be or if something is binding that I can’t see? Really annoying to have a brand new car clunking like the wheel is falling off when you are driving.

I brought home a new 2023 MXLR yesterday and this morning we noticed a creaking noise from the front drivers wheel area. We put in a service request, but they won’t get us in until mid February, so a month wait to get a 2 day old car repaired. The good news is that I crawled under while my wife moved the wheel back and forth and it sounds like it’s coming from the suspension area, so I don’t think the wheel is going to fly off going down road. I didn’t notice a shimmy in the wheel, but do hear it when moving the wheel back and forth while still, turning or hitting bumps when driving slowly and when letting off the accelerator. I know, “put in a service request,” but since I’m 3 hours from the Raleigh SC and have to wait a month to get in, I’m curious if anyone else has had this issue and if it got worse until the car was undrivable or unsafe.
Honestly, I would try "Roadside" in the app, you should get a phone call back in minutes. This sounds like a not safe to drive situation, not exactly routine service.

Roadside is only good for towing nothing else. My MXP was towed Sunday due to a bunch of alerts while backing in my garage that made it as a side effect impossible to switch to a gear (drive or reverse) until the car was reset via tow mode when the truck was on the way. It’s been sitting at the SC waiting for “diagnosis” ever since.

Roadside is only good for towing nothing else. My MXP was towed Sunday due to a bunch of alerts while backing in my garage that made it as a side effect impossible to switch to a gear (drive or reverse) until the car was reset via tow mode when the truck was on the way. It’s been sitting at the SC waiting for “diagnosis” ever since.
Actually they are good for anything that constitutes an emergency. Even a flat tire in your own driveway. The biggest difficulty is convincing them you are not in immediate danger, and tomorrow is fine. OP's situation sounded urgent, even if he was at home.

If you're up for it and have the tools, maybe just try loosening the fore link's inboard nut, raise the suspension to ride height, and then torque the nut back down to spec to see if it fixes the issue. 🤞

Pulled from MPP's tech article:
  • Torque the inboard 22mm eccentric nut to 95lb-ft (130Nm)
Thanks. I’m thinking it’s more around the sway bar or something hitting, but I might try that, but it doesn’t seem to be getting worse and I saw an appointment opening for next Thursday, so I moved mine up from February 13th.

Reactions: awd_rails
Update: Got an appointment to the service center in Raleigh early, so dropped it off last Thursday. They got us a 2023 MX loaner, so no issues there. They messaged last night that it was ready to pick up. The invoice just stated that suspension bolts were torqued but when we asked they told us the locking nuts hadn’t been tightened. The noise is now gone and the car drove great on the way home. Overall hard to complain, although we were a little nervous when the noise first started.