Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Clunk" sound from front right suspension on forward/reverse transition

serendipitous

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland, USA
I believe this started when I jacked up my car and swapped my wheels, but I can't fathom how a wheel swap would cause this.

When I come to a stop, there is a subtle "clunk" sound, seemingly as the torque of the car coming to a stop shifts something forward in the front right wheel well. Then when I go, there's a corresponding chatter, as though whatever it is shifts back. There is also an intermittent (>50% of the time but not 100%) metallic sound from the same wheel when I turn the wheel while stopped.

It almost sounds like there's some loose eccentric bolt, e.g. for caster adjustment, that's allowing something to shift in there. I had the car aligned at a service center and there was no change (I had not asked them to look into this since I hadn't correlated it yet). So I don't think it's actually the caster adjuster.

Any suggestions on things to check, or should I just make an appointment and cross my fingers?

Snowstorm

Dec 8, 2016
Ontario Canada
Hey, I hear that too! Do I have to fix it? It doesn’t bother me too much but if it is an indication or worse to come then I will get it looked into.

Is it a suspension thing?

model S 2017 June

serendipitous

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland, USA
For what it's worth, I finally got this creaking/clunking sound addressed by the service center - apparently it was loosened axle nuts. They replaced the washers and nuts and the noise is gone. Hope this maybe helps someone else with a creaking sound on forward/back or accel/decel transitions.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC