Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking / Knocking sound from front passenger area - bonus: brown mystery fluid under the same area.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings helpful internet folks,
I've been googling my ass off about my new-to-me 2018 M3 LR RWD at 85k, and am admittedly stumped.
There is a strange clunking or knocking sound emitted from the front passenger area that increases with more acceleration, i.e. undetected under calm/casual, somewhat apparent with moderate acceleration, and very noticeable under full pedal.
I manipulated a recording from my phone to reduce low-freq to suppress road noise, and make it sound more similar to what I hear with my ears. This made the sound easier to hear, but keep in mind the concerning clunking/knocking sound is much deeper and booming in real life:
Knocking.mp3
I do NOT believe this is interior panel vibration.

As this is RWD, there's no halfshaft/CV or anything like that present, so I'm puzzled about what could be making this sound.
Maybe the antisway bar? I tried to wiggle it, and the other elements of the suspension/linkages, and they all seemed solid to me, but maybe I need to learn how to examine this better.

I'm unsure if this is related, but given the area of concern is the same, I'm inclined to believe it is.
The car made a mystery discharge of some brown fluid which hardened into a shellac-like substance after a bit as pictured:
PXL_20221004_144514097.MP.jpgPXL_20221004_144527846.jpg

The under-frunk area seems to be clean:
PXL_20221004_144725959.jpg

There is an unusual streaking portion, about where the mysterious brown fluid came from in the seam between the undercarriage panels:
PXL_20221004_144548289.jpg

Under the rear motor, there seems to be some staining:
PXL_20221004_144927500.jpg

Wheel wells appear to have some droplet stains:
PXL_20221004_144814376.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221004_144927500.jpg
    PXL_20221004_144927500.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
The car made a mystery discharge of some brown fluid which hardened into a shellac-like substance after a bit as pictured:
With all your prodding and probing, you scared the s--t out of it!

If you are able, take it into service and have them put their ears on it. I could not get a good idea from your mp3 file on the relationship between noise and speed, but one area you might look at would be the wheel bearings. I believe that a change in noise depending upon whether you are making a right turn or left turn is one clue.

Greetings helpful internet folks,
I've been googling my ass off about my new-to-me 2018 M3 LR RWD at 85k, and am admittedly stumped.
There is a strange clunking or knocking sound emitted from the front passenger area that increases with more acceleration, i.e. undetected under calm/casual, somewhat apparent with moderate acceleration, and very noticeable under full pedal.
I manipulated a recording from my phone to reduce low-freq to suppress road noise, and make it sound more similar to what I hear with my ears. This made the sound easier to hear, but keep in mind the concerning clunking/knocking sound is much deeper and booming in real life:
Knocking.mp3
I do NOT believe this is interior panel vibration.

As this is RWD, there's no halfshaft/CV or anything like that present, so I'm puzzled about what could be making this sound.
Maybe the antisway bar? I tried to wiggle it, and the other elements of the suspension/linkages, and they all seemed solid to me, but maybe I need to learn how to examine this better.

I'm unsure if this is related, but given the area of concern is the same, I'm inclined to believe it is.
View attachment 859897View attachment 859900

The under-frunk area seems to be clean:
View attachment 859902

There is an unusual streaking portion, about where the mysterious brown fluid came from in the seam between the undercarriage panels:
View attachment 859901

Under the rear motor, there seems to be some staining:
View attachment 859903

Wheel wells appear to have some droplet stains:
View attachment 859904
Check the left driver headlight. Inside it rattle much louder then right

Just to follow-up, this required service center intervention:

Concern: Customer states: Other - Knocking sound front passenger wheel area. Might be CV axle
from comparing with YouTube video.

Performed road test with client and found groaning/bearing noise coming from rear of vehicle under
heavy acceleration. Client also commented there was a fluid leak from rear of vehicle. Inspected rear
of vehicle and found that left hand axle seal had walked out of mounting hole causing leak. Low drive
unit fluid level caused bearing failure. Received authorization to replace rear drive unit. Replaced
rear drive unit and left hand axle shaft due to radial seal not wearing correctly on old one. Road
tested and verified that noise no longer occurred.
Correction: Noise/Vibration: Verify And Inspect On-Site

Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - LH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HALF SHAFT
ASSEMBLY, 25MM X
540MM
SHAFT(1536670-00-B)

NUT&WSHR[SW],M24,
STL[8],ZNFL,SERR.
(1115558-00-A)

Pay Type: Goodwill - Service