Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNBC - Is Tesla the Next Amazon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000187706&play=1

in 1999, i have here walmart versus amazon and of course, amazon was a piker compared to walmart and in fact, the market cap was something on the order of 30 billion versus walmart at 150 or one fifth size. if you were to look at that ratio and apply it to ford and tesla right now at 16 billion is exactly one fifth the size of20% of ford, the largest of course auto manufacturer in theunited states. there's something here. one can say just coincidence, analogs are important. no one believed in that one and we know what's happened.

Striking how similar the charts are... and very interesting parallels across the board. A bullish POV from CNBC here and they're quick to dissuade folks from taking a short position. As one of the pundits noted: although there will be ups and downs, this upward trend could keep going for years...

I agree.

The similarity is striking the way CNBC is presenting. However there is ugly curve after that for AMZN. How do you make out of that?

For AMZN, the crash has more to do with the internet bubble than AMZN itself, and I am sure back then AMZN has a lot higher(crazier) p/e than TSLA of now.

I think a better comparison would be AMZN starting from Nov. 2008 - 2011, when it dipped below $40, after that it goes to $140, before lingering between $140-$110, then break out into the $200 range. It is a 3 years time frame.

TSLA feels a lot more substantial than AMZN, therefore a better and more robust investment. The fact TSLA's price has been surpassed due to negative financial outlook and the viability of EV in general match well with the effect of financial crisis on AMZN in 2008. The 3 years time frame of AMZN may well be compressed into 1 year development of TSLA.

I think it is going to take major macro economic condition change to bring or slow down TSLA.

AMZN-2008-2012-B.jpg