Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done with Tesla Model Y Performance after 2000km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really a fair comparison though as they are two totally different vehicles with different focuses. Tesla didn't spend gobs of time and money to make Tesla's some of the most performance oriented cars on the road, as is Porsches' forte. But you don't plug your 911 in at night and the price is just a bit more. But your insights are received in the spirit presented I'm sure.
Yes maybe that came across the wrong way now I’m reading it back, Tesla sorry I mean electric cars are without a doubt the future of motoring, there are many good points to this car, we have the solar set up at home and yesterday I put 80 miles in the triple A’s, take out the costs of the car and the solar battery system I could convince myself it’s free miles, I also never get in a cold car anymore (my last car was a hybrid and also had this so no new tricks there) and more than once it even recognised me without me having to take my phone out of my pocket and wave it at the car to remind it who’s the boss. Some of the futures are great I just love the way it keeps slamming the brakes on and alerting me of things that even a ninety year old partially blind person would see, and the fsd is a whole new ball game in autonomous travel, so glad I had it for only 6.5 k that was a real bargain, lucky I got in quick there.
It also does 0-60 in just over 3 secs = party trick only ever done it to show other people what it can do.
Light show, farting seats, fire place etc all just party tiricks that only show people what it can do if your some kind of nitwit that thinks this matters.
And then there’s the looks, back to the 911 or M4 that I did the walk away comparison too, not a like for like as in performance or financial but for the sheer love of a motoring beauty a work of art, there is no way any person who owns a 3 S or Y can say there a great looking car, I look at mine and it gives me a similar feeling to looking at the lawn mower at the beginning of spring.

MYP 2 months old, 2800km driven. Tesla Service tomorrow for 3 things. Frunk doesn't open all the time. It's stuck 50% of the time and I use it daily, so another daily frustration. Second problem is a weird vibration and noise on cold start. Like there is a handbrake active on the wheels and its trying to drive. Takes 3 secs, afterwards it's gone. But just checking before more doom. Third problem is rattle in the back on the right side. When I play music it's noticeable to the point I lower the volume just so it stops the rattle. I've checked where its coming from and to my ears it's coming from behind the rear seats right seatbelt. Something is loose because on the left side there is no noise.

Still waiting for any form of park assist. The weather here forces me to get out the car when I park and clean the camera in the back. It's dirty and I can't see much of the camera when backing up at night on my driveway. You clean it, you drive it for some time in the rain and again the camera is all dirty and blurry.

Every morning when it's somewhat foggy or cold I start driving and get a warning that one or multiple cameras have stopped working because their vision is blocked. Have to get out of the car and clean them. It's just condensation like a couple of drops.
Feels like they test these cars in (normally) sunny California for most of the time.
For comparison... I NEVER had to clean any camera in my BMW and it had multiple in the front and the back. So again it's typically a Tesla thing that drives you nuts because somebody didn't think or test it through.

2 months after my purchase the MYP is sold here for 10% less. So don't compare Tesla's to Apple iPhones. They are the opposite. Yes they have the cool factor, yes they think out of the box and do stuff the competition won't, but they miss the key part that makes an Apple product an Apple product. That is build quality and value.

I test drove the BMW iX3 this week. I miss the space from the Tesla. I miss the acceleration from the MYP. I miss the large infotainment screen. But the iX3 is a better car in many aspects. Many aspects that I take for granted on a 70k car. In my honest opinion, the RWD MY is not worth +40k. I would accept the ride and build quality for 35k on the RWD. But my 70k MYP is in my opinion way overprized compared to for example the iX3. The MYP should be around 55k max.

I just don't understand people here saying the build quality of a MY is acceptable at +40k. I mean how can you say some simple DIY tricks can fix most things and praise Tesla. You forget the fact that it's a +40k car with build quality problems that you have to fix yourself.

I am really curious what the future of Tesla will look like in Europe in 6 years.
Either people love the M3 and MY and have nothing but good experiences with Tesla, or they will hate it for the same reasons that I do and will never buy a Tesla again.
I will try to sell it but probably need to keep it in the end because I can't sell it without making a huge loss on this car.

If you are looking to buy a MY, go for the new RWD or LR with tax credits ... making it a 45k car at most.
If park assist and autopark are key features for you, find a used Tesla with USS.
Everything above 45k is overprized and Tesla will probably lower the price even more in 2023-2024.

MYP 2 months old, 2800km driven. Tesla Service tomorrow for 3 things. Frunk doesn't open all the time. It's stuck 50% of the time and I use it daily, so another daily frustration. Second problem is a weird vibration and noise on cold start. Like there is a handbrake active on the wheels and its trying to drive. Takes 3 secs, afterwards it's gone. But just checking before more doom. Third problem is rattle in the back on the right side. When I play music it's noticeable to the point I lower the volume just so it stops the rattle. I've checked where its coming from and to my ears it's coming from behind the rear seats right seatbelt. Something is loose because on the left side there is no noise.

Still waiting for any form of park assist. The weather here forces me to get out the car when I park and clean the camera in the back. It's dirty and I can't see much of the camera when backing up at night on my driveway. You clean it, you drive it for some time in the rain and again the camera is all dirty and blurry.

Every morning when it's somewhat foggy or cold I start driving and get a warning that one or multiple cameras have stopped working because their vision is blocked. Have to get out of the car and clean them. It's just condensation like a couple of drops.
Feels like they test these cars in (normally) sunny California for most of the time.
For comparison... I NEVER had to clean any camera in my BMW and it had multiple in the front and the back. So again it's typically a Tesla thing that drives you nuts because somebody didn't think or test it through.

2 months after my purchase the MYP is sold here for 10% less. So don't compare Tesla's to Apple iPhones. They are the opposite. Yes they have the cool factor, yes they think out of the box and do stuff the competition won't, but they miss the key part that makes an Apple product an Apple product. That is build quality and value.

I test drove the BMW iX3 this week. I miss the space from the Tesla. I miss the acceleration from the MYP. I miss the large infotainment screen. But the iX3 is a better car in many aspects. Many aspects that I take for granted on a 70k car. In my honest opinion, the RWD MY is not worth +40k. I would accept the ride and build quality for 35k on the RWD. But my 70k MYP is in my opinion way overprized compared to for example the iX3. The MYP should be around 55k max.

I just don't understand people here saying the build quality of a MY is acceptable at +40k. I mean how can you say some simple DIY tricks can fix most things and praise Tesla. You forget the fact that it's a +40k car with build quality problems that you have to fix yourself.

I am really curious what the future of Tesla will look like in Europe in 6 years.
Either people love the M3 and MY and have nothing but good experiences with Tesla, or they will hate it for the same reasons that I do and will never buy a Tesla again.
I will try to sell it but probably need to keep it in the end because I can't sell it without making a huge loss on this car.

If you are looking to buy a MY, go for the new RWD or LR with tax credits ... making it a 45k car at most.
If park assist and autopark are key features for you, find a used Tesla with USS.
Everything above 45k is overprized and Tesla will probably lower the price even more in 2023-2024.
Enjoy your BMW! Bye!

The vibration is likely the heat pump - I get it on occasion but never thought much about it.

the cameras are used far differently in the Tesla vs the BMW. Not making any statements or judgements on ultrasonic sensors, cameras or otherwise but a small amount of moisture would make a bigger difference in the Tesla than it would in the BMW.

Reactions: AJ..

Totally agree, I have the same problems with the cameras, and the fsd is laughable at best if it hadn’t cost so much, the true fanboy would say ‘yes but it’s improving all the time’ I can confirm this is absolute rubbish, recently I’ve started just turning the whole thing off sometimes the less interference from the car the better especially in city’s.
People don’t like to hear opinions that don’t agree with the whole Tesla image mentality, before I bought my m3p I test drive the Y for 20 minutes, that was enough for me to know I wouldn’t be happy with it certainly not at that price, knock 20% off and your probably in the right ball park (and I still wouldn’t want it)
BMW and I’m going to say Mercs are in a different class of car, that’s where I go wrong is I still compare the two, Teslas just so damn ugly 😂

• Disagree
Reactions: ASN21
Totally agree, I have the same problems with the cameras, and the fsd is laughable at best if it hadn’t cost so much, the true fanboy would say ‘yes but it’s improving all the time’ I can confirm this is absolute rubbish, recently I’ve started just turning the whole thing off sometimes the less interference from the car the better especially in city’s.
People don’t like to hear opinions that don’t agree with the whole Tesla image mentality, before I bought my m3p I test drive the Y for 20 minutes, that was enough for me to know I wouldn’t be happy with it certainly not at that price, knock 20% off and your probably in the right ball park (and I still wouldn’t want it)
BMW and I’m going to say Mercs are in a different class of car, that’s where I go wrong is I still compare the two, Teslas just so damn ugly 😂
The latest round of BMWs is in a totally different weight class of ugly compared to Tesla. The MB EQS sedan is probably the ugliest design in the past 40 years and only finally being challenged by the new IONIQ 6.

I do t get it how does those big elephant testicular look grill effect the vehicle aerodynamics, is like driving 80 miles an hour with the windows open and wonder the mileage is pretty poor. At least make it slim body style like the i8 front end.. I used to be a die hard Bmw fan but this radical style has turned off the previous owners into purchasing a new model. Most of my friends are hanging on the their E & F series.. the new G series is bleh…

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
I do t get it how does those big elephant testicular look grill effect the vehicle aerodynamics, is like driving 80 miles an hour with the windows open and wonder the mileage is pretty poor. At least make it slim body style like the i8 front end.. I used to be a die hard Bmw fan but this radical style has turned off the previous owners into purchasing a new model. Most of my friends are hanging on the their E & F series.. the new G series is bleh…
BMW reports a Cd for its G8x cars at 0.33. a Tesla Model 3 has a Cd=0.23.

I didn’t bite the bullet yet on a MY PF. As OP mentioned, the MY SR maybe is a better and much cheaper choice. Buy the car, drive it a few years and sell it again. Plus MY facelift coming with HW4 next year is another reason for me to wait.

My son just got a M3 LR as company car, and he is pretty happy with it, for the same reasons the OP already mentioned. He doesn’t have to care about charging cost, fit and finish is not an issue for him, and when there is a problem, he just gets a replacement car.

My wife drives a Mini SE. Very satisfied with this car for it’s usage (about 90 km/day driving). And it’s really fun to drive, plenty fast, good seats, good adaptive cruise control, head-up display, panoramic roof what you can open in summer. Range is limited to about 180 km in summer, 160 km in winter. But for her usage this is not an issue. Never charged it on a public charger, only at home. And we bought this car as a 6 month demo in Germany for a very good price. No issues with the Mini whatsover and it’s really well build. Cheap in tyres and in consumption (averages about 165 Wh, mix of highway and normal roads). My wive drove a BMW 5 GT before the Mini, and she loves this car very much.

But I want to replace my BMW 530d Touring (which I still love to drive) with something electric. In Belgium, company taxes on this kind of car are gettting very high, and there are not many interesting options except an EV.

Taycan 4S CT is on the list, but I find it slightly overpriced for the added value and lower range (I also drive a Boxster 3.4 GTS as a fun car), plus charging hassle due to the DC charge port at the front right side.

I’m in a wheelchair, so that’s an added issue at many public charging stations. We can charge at home though with 22 kW max, so public charging won’t happen often, but it nevertheless is an issue for me. Public charging stations are NOT wheelchair friendly.
With Tesla, I can get out, support myself on the car and just connect the charging cable. No hassle with charging cards or whatever, and I don’t need to get my wheelchair out of the car. That’s for me a big plus and puts Tesla of course high on the list of practical cars for me.

Did testdrives with Model Y LR (no performance available for test) and Model S LR (M3 not an option due to trunk for wheelchair loading).
Model S is very expensive for the added value compared to the MY PF, and for the price of a MS LR I can also buy a young and well specced (and much better build) Taycan 4S CT. Despite the Porsche’s lower range, it’s still a fantastic car with an absolute top interior finish, excellent seats and superb driving dynamics.

The fit and finish of a MY PF for about 70.000 EUR, even despite the added value of the Tesla SC network, efficiency and software just can’t convince me. I have an incomplete spinal cord injury, my height is 193 cm and the seats just cause a lot of annoyence in my lower legs. It’s better in the Model S, but compared to the Boxster, Mini and BMW, the seats are just not good for me. They are to short and side bolstering really is not good compared to our other cars.

So currently I think I’m going to wait for the new BMW i5 Touring announced for next year and see what the Model Y facelift will bring in 2024.
BMW iX3 and iX1 are not really on my whish list. I had a look at the iX, but the trunk floot sits 77 cm above the ground and that’s way to high for me to lift my wheelchair in the trunk. Otherwise, I would seriously consider an iX! That’s also the reason a Model X is not an option, I can’t get my wheelchair lifted in the trunk.

The 530d only has 160.000 km and still runs fine. Despite the higher running cost, I think I will hold onto it for another year as my daily driver.
And I only need to refuel it every 900 km…
Fuel stations are much more wheelchair friendly by the way compared to charging stations.
Though I must say the new Fastned charging stations in Belgium with a roof are also less an issue with a wheelchair…

Reactions: KevinT3141
Very, very good post. Thank you.

But, just for example, I cannot stand BMW, just cannot.
The ride, the buttons, the color of the dashboard... everything
But Model Y is just prefect for me personally, for my "use case and preferences" - fits like a glove.

Just saying.
Best.

Reactions: Blackbelt
Very, very good post. Thank you.

But, just for example, I cannot stand BMW, just cannot.
The ride, the buttons, the color of the dashboard... everything
But Model Y is just prefect for me personally, for my "use case and preferences" - fits like a glove.
Yeah, that’s personal of course.

Have driven many cars in my live, and for me, BMW just strikes the right balance between comfort and sportiness as daily driver.
In the last 17 years I had a 1-series, two E93 3 series cabrio, an E61, and two F11‘s (current one is F11 530d).
Besides these cars, since I started driving: Ford, Opel, Porsche, Fiat, Mazda, Peugeot, Mini, Volkwagen, Audi…

But I’m in a wheelchair since 2001 due to a motorcycle accident, and that limits my current choice in practical cars as daily driver.
Practical = folding the backrest of my wheelchair and being able to toss the chair in the back of the car.
A touring (station wagon) is very practical for me, but there is almost nothing on offer in EV’s. Most cars are hatchback of SUV.

I’m lucky I’m able to still use my legs if I can support myself on the car. But 67 cm is about the max height of the trunk floor.
Model Y Performance has a 2.8 cm (1.1”) lower loading heigh compared to the LR and the SR, and I can handle this height.
And my chair fits in the Model S in this way, despite the trunk sill (which I find stupid, why not just make it flat).

I didn’t bite the bullet yet on a MY PF. As OP mentioned, the MY SR maybe is a better and much cheaper choice. Buy the car, drive it a few years and sell it again. Plus MY facelift coming with HW4 next year is another reason for me to wait.

My son just got a M3 LR as company car, and he is pretty happy with it, for the same reasons the OP already mentioned. He doesn’t have to care about charging cost, fit and finish is not an issue for him, and when there is a problem, he just gets a replacement car.

My wife drives a Mini SE. Very satisfied with this car for it’s usage (about 90 km/day driving). And it’s really fun to drive, plenty fast, good seats, good adaptive cruise control, head-up display, panoramic roof what you can open in summer. Range is limited to about 180 km in summer, 160 km in winter. But for her usage this is not an issue. Never charged it on a public charger, only at home. And we bought this car as a 6 month demo in Germany for a very good price. No issues with the Mini whatsover and it’s really well build. Cheap in tyres and in consumption (averages about 165 Wh, mix of highway and normal roads). My wive drove a BMW 5 GT before the Mini, and she loves this car very much.

But I want to replace my BMW 530d Touring (which I still love to drive) with something electric. In Belgium, company taxes on this kind of car are gettting very high, and there are not many interesting options except an EV.

Taycan 4S CT is on the list, but I find it slightly overpriced for the added value and lower range (I also drive a Boxster 3.4 GTS as a fun car), plus charging hassle due to the DC charge port at the front right side.

I’m in a wheelchair, so that’s an added issue at many public charging stations. We can charge at home though with 22 kW max, so public charging won’t happen often, but it nevertheless is an issue for me. Public charging stations are NOT wheelchair friendly.
With Tesla, I can get out, support myself on the car and just connect the charging cable. No hassle with charging cards or whatever, and I don’t need to get my wheelchair out of the car. That’s for me a big plus and puts Tesla of course high on the list of practical cars for me.

Did testdrives with Model Y LR (no performance available for test) and Model S LR (M3 not an option due to trunk for wheelchair loading).
Model S is very expensive for the added value compared to the MY PF, and for the price of a MS LR I can also buy a young and well specced (and much better build) Taycan 4S CT. Despite the Porsche’s lower range, it’s still a fantastic car with an absolute top interior finish, excellent seats and superb driving dynamics.

The fit and finish of a MY PF for about 70.000 EUR, even despite the added value of the Tesla SC network, efficiency and software just can’t convince me. I have an incomplete spinal cord injury, my height is 193 cm and the seats just cause a lot of annoyence in my lower legs. It’s better in the Model S, but compared to the Boxster, Mini and BMW, the seats are just not good for me. They are to short and side bolstering really is not good compared to our other cars.

So currently I think I’m going to wait for the new BMW i5 Touring announced for next year and see what the Model Y facelift will bring in 2024.
BMW iX3 and iX1 are not really on my whish list. I had a look at the iX, but the trunk floot sits 77 cm above the ground and that’s way to high for me to lift my wheelchair in the trunk. Otherwise, I would seriously consider an iX! That’s also the reason a Model X is not an option, I can’t get my wheelchair lifted in the trunk.

The 530d only has 160.000 km and still runs fine. Despite the higher running cost, I think I will hold onto it for another year as my daily driver.
And I only need to refuel it every 900 km…
Fuel stations are much more wheelchair friendly by the way compared to charging stations.
Though I must say the new Fastned charging stations in Belgium with a roof are also less an issue with a wheelchair…
That was a bit confusing. You went from saving money by not buying a MYP, which is much cheaper than 70000euro btw (they went on sale no?) and to a Taycan and BMWs that are more expensive. And you spoke of a much lower class Mini.. None of the cars in same category.
So which it is you want to save money or get the best car with unlimitted funds for what your needs are?

I am sorry about your condittion but from having a MYP i would not reccomend it for you. Wheelchair may not fit and I sprained my knee. I have a brace and can barely get in.

I hear ya … we’ve been all there … I sold my 2021 Model Y Performance on November 2022 with around 18k miles on it for a bit more than I paid for, which was good timing I guess, considering the pricing craziness right after that … I’ve never considered Teslas as luxury cars, which they are definitely not. Too many service calls for different annoying issues for a brand new car. I don’t know about other states or countries but the Tesla-hate is real in New York; had my car vandalized twice, broken passenger window, side mirror destroyed, etc. Anyway, sold it and I’m driving a regular BMW again, ICE no less, was never a tree hugger, the Tesla was cheap for the great performance and tech … don’t mind driving a regular stealth car again … will probably get another EV once they master the solid state batteries, with much greater range and faster recharging.

I hear ya … we’ve been all there … I sold my 2021 Model Y Performance on November 2022 with around 18k miles on it for a bit more than I paid for, which was good timing I guess, considering the pricing craziness right after that … I’ve never considered Teslas as luxury cars, which they are definitely not. Too many service calls for different annoying issues for a brand new car. I don’t know about other states or countries but the Tesla-hate is real in New York; had my car vandalized twice, broken passenger window, side mirror destroyed, etc. Anyway, sold it and I’m driving a regular BMW again, ICE no less, was never a tree hugger, the Tesla was cheap for the great performance and tech … don’t mind driving a regular stealth car again … will probably get another EV once they master the solid state batteries, with much greater range and faster recharging.
It's the NY issue, not Tesla hater issues.

Reactions: GoVols!

Did you not see or hear that the model y performance is now less than your $55,000 statement. It’s been over 6 months since a MYP cost 70k. do you not listen to the news?

Did you not hear that the Model y p is now priced at $54,640 . Tesla just dropped the price a few days ago. you paid $70k but that’s not even the price anymore. so don’t go around recommending a red car to replace an Awd version. Especially if someone is thinking about a Tesla and they live close to snow. go big or go home there’s no reason to not get the top model now that it’s so cheap. Also I don’t use any of those silly little self driving or parking sensors for women. I’ve been Driving real cars made for the working man since the early 90s and never once has a problem backing my ford F450 into any spot And not once did I ever back into a single curb or wall or vehicle. after a few years of driving Cadillacs and pickup trucks you actually learn how drive yourself not have a computer drive you .👍

Illinois, Florida, and Colorado, in addition to California and Texas are the top five states for the rate of care-related theft and vandalism. Try again.
I didn't know that San Francisco became a "State".
1682292436334.png

Status
Not open for further replies.