Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNBC says Tesla Model Best Selling Luxury car in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla was also the best selling luxury brand for 2018, Blew right by BMW and Lexus. And with only two quarters of full Model 3 production.

Just think where the stock would be if EM had kept his mouth shut and not set unrealistic production expectations. TSLA was getting killed because they couldn't produce 5000 Model 3s a week. BMW hasn't sold 5000 3 series per *month* in the US for the last three years.

Reactions: StellarRat
Tesla was also the best selling luxury brand for 2018, Blew right by BMW and Lexus. And with only two quarters of full Model 3 production.

Just think where the stock would be if EM had kept his mouth shut and not set unrealistic production expectations. TSLA was getting killed because they couldn't produce 5000 Model 3s a week. BMW hasn't sold 5000 3 series per *month* in the US for the last three years.
Let's see how quarter four turns out.

I'm actually predicting a lower profit than quarter three, but I'm definitely thinking it will be a profitable quarter. Two profitable quarters back to back will be a first for Tesla. The stock will go up big time.

I’ll respectfully disagree for a few reasons:

1.) All new inventory X was gone save for 9 cars at the end.
2.) Leas than 100 Model S left.
3.) No reports of breakneck overtime shifts
4.) No reports of pulling the entire corporate office to do deliveries.
5.) Less delivery issues and less reworking issues.

The only question mark is how much gross revenue is affected by MR skus and price drop on P SKUs.

Points 3-5 practically guarantee highesr EPS.

So it could be a top line miss and a bottom line beat.
Analysts already declared Q4 as peak Tesla with all the pull forward demand. Lower revenues despite higher EPS is going to bludgeon the stock.

If you are confident at less revenue, I would be selling calls or buying puts into ER given the expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormond
I’ll respectfully disagree for a few reasons:

1.) All new inventory X was gone save for 9 cars at the end.
2.) Leas than 100 Model S left.
3.) No reports of breakneck overtime shifts
4.) No reports of pulling the entire corporate office to do deliveries.
5.) Less delivery issues and less reworking issues.

The only question mark is how much gross revenue is affected by MR skus and price drop on P SKUs.

Points 3-5 practically guarantee highesr EPS.

So it could be a top line miss and a bottom line beat.
Analysts already declared Q4 as peak Tesla with all the pull forward demand. Lower revenues despite higher EPS is going to bludgeon the stock.

If you are confident at less revenue, I would be selling calls or buying puts into ER given the expectations.
Well, let's just wait. No matter who is right we are both expecting a big rise in the stock price. Also, the future looks really bright with the M3 going to Europe and Asia this year. I'm expecting that will add a market at least as big as the US to their overall sales eventually.

Aside from financials, the prediction of a $35K SR car in Feb, means even more cars on the road, so will fights at limited supercharging stations and long lines. Ive already seen those happening, younger roudy crowds who simply dont care.
Nearly every stop I was at was filled with Model 3s except those with 40 plug stations. Theres not enough SC stations to handle that many cars. People not respecting and waiting in line, going in the wrong way, etc to the charger, just like how it is at gas stations.

Aside from financials, the prediction of a $35K SR car in Feb, means even more cars on the road, so will fights at limited supercharging stations and long lines. Ive already seen those happening, younger roudy crowds who simply dont care.
Nearly every stop I was at was filled with Model 3s except those with 40 plug stations. Theres not enough SC stations to handle that many cars. People not respecting and waiting in line, going in the wrong way, etc to the charger, just like how it is at gas stations.

Not happening in Feb. Won’t even be hinted at being available to order until July 1st.

Free supercharging is the cause of all woes. Tesla really needs another carrot that doesn’t involve that.