Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What makes a car "fun to drive"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many reviewers, like Doug Demuro, like to say the Model 3 isn't really fun to drive - rather, it's just an appliance like a washing machine.

For me, fun to drive boils down to one metric: Responsiveness. I don't give a damn if it's pretty, or luxurious, or fashionable, or whatever - if a car is a slug, I don't like it and it's not fun to drive.

The M3 is plenty responsive for me, and it's fun to hit the go pedal and feel that responsiveness. So for me, the M3 is fun to drive. I don't care what Doug says. Amirite?

Many reviewers, like Doug Demuro, like to say the Model 3 isn't really fun to drive - rather, it's just an appliance like a washing machine.

For me, fun to drive boils down to one metric: Responsiveness. I don't give a damn if it's pretty, or luxurious, or fashionable, or whatever - if a car is a slug, I don't like it and it's not fun to drive.

The M3 is plenty responsive for me, and it's fun to hit the go pedal and feel that responsiveness. So for me, the M3 is fun to drive. I don't care what Doug says. Amirite?
I think Doug has driven to many cars ;)!. My Model 3 is by far the most responsive car I have owned. It feels like its on rails.

I bought the car because it's an absolute blast to drive.
It's always possible to find people who will disagree. Whether it's accurate or just them blowing raspberries, it's hard to know.
Also some people have a wealth of sports car experience so maybe for them it's not top of the list, possibly for personal preference reasons too.
This thing glues to corners and accelerates like a demon, super fun!

It is an appliance, in that you need to do almost no maintenance on it and it still works like new. It is an appliance in that many things are automated (climate, wipers, lights etc) so you only need to put in Drive and go. There are no gears to row through.
That could be true of many cars, and not all of them would be "fun to drive", although that is subjective. Some people prefer silent and comfortable cars. I prefer "on rails" and "instant torque" sporty type cars. The Model 3 is not a sports car but it's a daily driver that can deliver a good enough part of sportiness to be pleasant, especially an AWD+boost on ultra performance all season tires for me. :)

Manual transmission, big V8 in a light car, obviously rear wheel drive.. and that sound.
Sound? Buy a woopie cushion ;)

I agree with others. Responsiveness is what makes a car fun to drive for me.
Every gear shift puts another step between the driver and the road.
A manual is even worse, but it does make the process of driving more complicated. Some might find that more engaging.

I think it is more about the weight. Used to own a Z4. Take the car to a curvy mountain road. Take another real sports car like Porsche 718, BMW Z4/ Supra, Mazda miata, C8 corvette, etc. Push them to your limit. Then you will know.

If there is a solid state battery to reduce the EV car weight. And fine tune the suspension to sports car level. I am sure it will be be better. I wonder if the new porsche 718 electric version can bridge the gap closer.

EV does offer cheap HP though. The quick acceleration is very addictive. Saving gas cost too. You need V8 for matching acceleration.

Doug is full of crap. The model 3 is a blast to drive - fast, cuts into corners, slides the tail, brilliant on a mountain road - it just has that feel. It's not identical to your favorite legacy gas car, it's not light, no clutch, no shift points, it has it's own personality. The model Y is competent, but not fun like that. Doug's just blasting out the brainless click bait narrative that electric cars and tesla are boring .... yada yada.... we know better.

Just watch. When Doug reviews the Model 3 Ludicrous he will have a giant smile on his face and he will talk about how responsive and fun it is.

He has to cater to his viewers. He gets more clicks if he tells them what they want to hear.

I had so much fun at the Dragstrip with my Model 3 this weekend. I won my class and $1,000. Tell me this doesn’t look like fun to you.

IMG_3696.jpeg
IMG_3673.jpeg
IMG_3690.jpeg

Just watch. When Doug reviews the Model 3 Ludicrous he will have a giant smile on his face and he will talk about how responsive and fun it is.

He has to cater to his viewers. He gets more clicks if he tells them what they want to hear.

I had so much fun at the Dragstrip with my Model 3 this weekend. I won my class and $1,000. Tell me this doesn’t look like fun to you.

View attachment 1032554View attachment 1032555View attachment 1032556

Pure Awesomeness !!!! Congrats.

• Love
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I have a 2021 SR+. It is possibly the lightest Tesla made. Or at least close. At 3616 lbs. it is lighter than either of my previous sport sedans by ~400 lbs. My son has a 2021 model Y. He drove my car and said "Wow, what a difference".

I have been driving for 58 years. Have owned a few nice cars an have driven some very nice cars. Like a '78 Porsche 930 for one. When that car was new. And many more. My Tesla puts a smile on my face whenever I get in it.

Sounds like with that metric and the "whatever" comment ... a go cart would satisfy. Really Doug.

Reactions: fredjan
who really is Doug Demuro?
One of the most successful car reviewers in the history of car reviewing. He also started a very successful car reselling website called Cars and Bids. He knows what he is talking about when it comes to cars. However, he is also a very shrewd business man. He knows how to work the YouTube algorithm about as well as anyone.

View attachment 1032554View attachment 1032555View attachment 1032556
Doug certainly freaked when reviewing the model s plaid at the 32 min mark.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd