Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally Coda start to talk up their one selling point: 150 mile range. For ages they said "100 miles", presumably to be conservative. But with 36 kWh battery versus 24 kWh in the LEAF they needed to differentiate - if they said "100" and Nissan said "100" who I'm the general public would be paying close attention to the different conditions applying to this two different "100s" (one real world, one Japanese 10-15 drive cycle).

So I am happy that Coda finally talks up their strongest point. It gives them a positioning similar in range (but with a lesser status car) to the bottom end Model S for about $12K less. Or about 1.5 times the range of a LEAF for $10K more.

Also happy that they offer 6.6kW charger. (there seems to be an error in the article - the 1.3 kW convenience charger can't recharge 36kWh in 12 hours - must be 24)

Would I buy one? If I didn't yet have an EV and lived in California I would cross shop it with LEAF, Volt, Rav4-EV (depending on price) and Model S 160.

That's funny. It's often stated that the LEAF is "ugly", too. Give or take, it's there. So it will win against that ugly newcomer.
I think the Leaf has enough of a distinctive style. But it is a love it or hate it type of styling (mainly the "frog eyes" headlights).

The Coda, on the hand, I wouldn't call it ugly. I would just call it extremely generic. It looks surprisingly like the generic "Mediocrity" sedan that Subaru used in their ad.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/175-Coda-Automotive-(formerly-Miles-Automotive-Group)?p=65107&viewfull=1#post65107

Basically it looks a lot like a generic 90s sedan. And knowing it is based on the Hafei Saibao, which itself is based on the Mitsubishi Carisma (a car from the mid 90s), that's actually somewhat true.

NYT coverage on Coda
Coda and General Electric, Joined at the Power Cord

GE Energy announced Wednesday evening that its 240-volt wall-mounted WattStation electric vehicle charging unit would be official equipment for the coming Coda E.V.

The GE Energy charger will supply juice to the Coda electric sedan’s 36 kilowatt-hour battery pack. In its marketing, Coda all along has played up its main benefit: its plain-looking E.V. has a bigger battery than the competition.

Now at 36 kilowatt-hours (last year, the company said 34 kWh), it’s 50 percent larger than the pack in the Nissan Leaf, and therefore can regularly achieve 120 miles of range, while Nissan’s electric hatch usually manages around 80 miles on a single charge. The vehicle’s onboard charger is also about twice as fast as the one used on the 2011 Leaf.

Now at 36 kilowatt-hours (last year, the company said 34 kWh), it’s 50 percent larger than the pack in the Nissan Leaf, and therefore can regularly achieve 120 miles of range, while Nissan’s electric hatch usually manages around 80 miles on a single charge. The vehicle’s onboard charger is also about twice as fast as the one used on the 2011 Leaf.

Let's see if people can get past the looks though. I don't think I could, but as someone mentioned, gov't agencies might love this.

And the response on AutoblogGreen http://green.autoblog.com/2011/12/15/is-the-coda-sedan-a-trojan-horse-sent-by-communist-china-to-dest/

coda-sedan-with-mao-628.jpg

If it came in undercutting the LEAF substantially on price I might agree with you somewhat, but fact is it seems to be a small niche vehicle.
I think it is more American entrepreneurs trying to capitalize on cost effective Chinese components than some sort of big Chinese conspiracy.
I just don't see CODA being a big deal. I think they will be lucky to stay alive given the number of people that will likely pick a LEAF instead.

But that is just how I see it...