Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
?? You lost me here. They put the motor where the engine was. Why reengineer the whole car?

61004864_1899_horsey_horseless.jpg

My understanding is that a "frunk" as you guys call it was a trunk in the front, like in a Porsche 911. So the way I saw it a Coda wouldn't have a frunk since that's where the motor is. And the motor is in front because that's where the engine was in the ICE version of this car. Well, whatever. Sorry I'm not versed in the lingo.

Anyway, Coda has received their EPA compliance certificate for MY2012:

http://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=26696&flag=1

I have a feeling buyers are going to be looking at the range more than the MPGe. "Hey, electricity is cheap, how far can I drive this guy on a charge?" I can't see many consumers doing even napkin math to calculate how far they can go and how much energy it will take, then backing that out into a hard number.

Look, the Coda looks like a**, and it's efficiency is bad EV-wise. But that's EV-wise! If they hit a price point with a range that gets more people out of atrocious ICE fart-blasters, then good!

It's still 3x as efficient as anything NG or fuel cell or gas oriented. I'd never buy one, but heck, people still buy Toyota Corollas, they'll buy this McEV if it fits. That's a good tradeoff, as far as I'm concerned.

Apparently Coda is fairly inefficient. All other plugins have MPGe in excess of 90.
Except for the Fisker Karma (but it has excuses: 403hp from dual motors, hauling around a 260hp ICE for a curb weight of 5300lbs, plus a wide stance that leads to higher frontal area and a 0.313 Cd).

46kWh/100 mi is quite horrible though. The Coda's curb weight isn't that bad at 3670 lbs, and the aerodynamics shouldn't be too bad (frontal area appears to be about the same as the Volt, the 95 Mitsubishi Carisma from which its chassis originated had a 0.290 Cd).

http://www.codaautomotive.com/pdf/11_CODA_PressKit_Info_Final.pdf

I'm guessing either the drivetrain, the charging system, or the "Active Air Thermal Management System" has horrible efficiency.

I guess some real world measurements will reveal the reasons.

Last edited:
Look, the Coda looks like a**, and it's efficiency is bad EV-wise. But that's EV-wise! If they hit a price point with a range that gets more people out of atrocious ICE fart-blasters, then good!

It's still 3x as efficient as anything NG or fuel cell or gas oriented. I'd never buy one, but heck, people still buy Toyota Corollas, they'll buy this McEV if it fits. That's a good tradeoff, as far as I'm concerned.
too much funny in that post. :biggrin:

same head unit as in the 2.5's with the tech package :cursing:

I wonder how they interfaced the battery information screen with the head unit....my guess is it is just a video out from the control unit and you really cannot interact with this screen?