Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perfect for fleets. Not too flashy and a semi-US car company.

I wonder what the safety rating will be on the Coda....

The prius was a sales dud in its early form, when Toyota actually made the Prius look different from the Echo is when sales took off...I just cannot see people plunking down 40k for this car. It just looks uninspired.

The prius was a sales dud in its early form, when Toyota actually made the Prius look different from the Echo is when sales took off...

Actually, Toyota didn't make that many on purpose. They were really just testing the waters. The 2001-2003 Prius typically had a long waiting list--I waited nine months for mine--except at the end of the 2003's sales when people held off to purchase the 2004 (I also have one of those).

Also the Echo was modeled after the Prius--not vice-versa. (See: The Prius That Shook the World Downloads )

Actually, Toyota didn't make that many on purpose. They were really just testing the waters. The 2001-2003 Prius typically had a long waiting list--I waited nine months for mine--except at the end of the 2003's sales when people held off to purchase the 2004 (I also have one of those).

Also the Echo was modeled after the Prius--not vice-versa. (See: The Prius That Shook the World Downloads )

This is getting a bit off-topic but do you think there is a reason why the Prius has outsold the Civic hybrid? Why did you chose the Prius over the Civic?

My thoughts are the Prius does not look like the typical econobox? If Toyota made the Prius look exactly like the Corolla or Yaris etc I do not think the "Prius" model would be nearly as popular.

I think that this may be the problem with the Coda, it looks like a $13,000 dollar Kia.

This is getting a bit off-topic but do you think there is a reason why the Prius has outsold the Civic hybrid? Why did you chose the Prius over the Civic?

My thoughts are the Prius does not look like the typical econobox? If Toyota made the Prius look exactly like the Corolla or Yaris etc I do not think the "Prius" model would be nearly as popular.
Please see this thread: does auto design matter for green cars
and watch the linked video. The Coda guy would have been better off not saying anything.

This is getting a bit off-topic but do you think there is a reason why the Prius has outsold the Civic hybrid?

I'd like to think it's the difference in the hybrid systems. The Honda system basically replaces the flywheel with an electric motor and leaves all the other old fashioned car part alone. So you have the hybrid parts and the conventional parts. Toyota has dumped a bunch of the conventional parts--in particular the automatic transmission with its hundreds of parts has been replaced by a simple planetary gear system.

Why did you chose the Prius over the Civic?

I originally chose the 2001 Prius my wife drives because the only Honda was the original Insight--two passengers, manual transmission, a non-starter. When Toyota offered the Pioneer Program to get a 2004 Prius I bought it sight unseen because the 2001 Prius was so good and I really wanted to dump the horrible VW TDI--I could have almost purchased a Prius for what I spent on maintenance for that turkey.

My 2004 Prius MPG from the logbook. (Complete years only):
2003-2004 -- 50.8 mpg 17,628 miles
2005 -- 52.6 mpg 14,688 miles
2006 -- 56.3 mpg 16,174 miles
2007 -- 57.3 mpg 18,384 miles
2008 -- 59.9 mpg 21,755 miles
2009 -- 61.4 mpg 16,177 miles
2010 -- 65.2 mpg 12,134 miles
2011 -- 66.9 mpg 11,272 miles

That may be true. The hybrid Camry isn't nearly as popular. Then again, it might just be that most people who are buying a hybrid only look at the mpg rating.

I think that this may be the problem with the Coda, it looks like a $13,000 dollar Kia.

You certainly got me there :)

Coda to Make Battery-Powered Cars With China's Great Wall - Bloomberg

Coda Holdings, the Los Angeles- based maker of electric cars, plans to produce battery-powered autos with China’s Great Wall Motor Co. (2333) to be sold under the U.S. company’s name starting in 2014. Motors and batteries from the U.S. company’s Coda Automotive unit will be used in Great Wall vehicles, Chief Executive Officer Phil Murtaugh told reporters today by telephone. The cars also will be sold in China under the Great Wall name, he said. The partnership doesn’t include equity ties.

Coda deal could lead to cheapest electric car yet

"This marks the launch of our partnership with Great Wall Motors that will enable us to bring EVs to global markets in a very efficient and cost-effective manner," said Phil Murtaugh, CEO of Coda Holdings

Last edited:
Coda $39,000 100 miles
Model S $49,000 160 miles

Let's add a bit more description to that:

Coda $39,000 100 miles, small, cheap, slow, looks like a$$ (somebody said that on here somewhere)
Model S $49,000 160 miles, gorgeous, luxurious, modern, quick, spacious, aerodynamic

makes you wonder what those 8 people who bought Codas were thinking!

I want to counter that a bit. One serious concern on EVs is the high sticker price. Granted, $39k is not a bargain - but here you see what you get if you try to enter the market not like Tesla (i.e. top-down).
Is that 100 mile range figure the EPA rating? Can anyone report on EPA consumption figures and NHTSA crash ratings of the Coda?

To be a little bit more accurate (the Coda price is pre rebate, so we should compare it to the pre-rebate price of the Model S)

Coda $39,000 100 miles
Model S $57,400 160 miles

That being said, the Model S is by far a better overall value. It looks like, and by all reports, drives like a $50,000 car. The Coda looks like, and by all reports, drives like a $15,000 car.

To be fair, let's not forget that the 160-mile Model S won't be out for while. And I don't expect many to be so devoid of options as to actually sell at $57,400. Most of the Model S that sell this calendar year will be pushing six figures if not slightly over.

I read an article yesterday that a customer had picked one up at the San Diego dealer, making him the fourth customer (the article referenced the initial three). So if it is eight cars, I would imagine that's total company-wide. I'm wondering if the problem is production; with few cars to show, it's hard to create interest. That and they have minimal market awareness.

EPA combined range rating is 88 miles. MPGe is 77 city, 68 highway, 73 combined. KWh per 100 miles is 46.

I think they only brought in from China a couple dozen gliders in their first batch and are sending some of their first completed cars to various parts of the USA as demo units. I know one is suppose to be showing up here in Atlanta in the next few days as a demo for a Coda representative. The remainder are only being sold by a few dealers so the sales area is very limited right now.

Since I intend to baby my Model S, I have been considering the Coda as a backup vehicle for those uses where I don't want to risk my S.

That's kind of what I've figured, and exactly my point. I've been checking the dealer sites and they never show any cars on hand. Hard to sell a car you don't have. I would imagine the ability of their plant to turn these out is quite limited at this early juncture. Do you happen to know if there is another batch of gliders on the way, and if so, how many?

No I don't know when they will get another batch. I might know more, hopefully next week, when the Coda representative comes to give me a test drive in his demo car. I do know that even that car seems to keep getting delayed so maybe they are also experiencing a very slow conversion/production rate for even the first batch of gliders.