Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold climate wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been discussed already. But I had a terrible time last winter with the original Tesla wiper blades, made for California weather.
Here in Canada, we need serious wipers.
I read good reviews about Bosch ICONs.

Any other fellow north-polers try those? Any other recommendations.
Thanks

I have been driving with the Tesla wipers in 3 Quebec City winters so far and they have been okay. I haven't felt the need to switch to frameless wipers. I did that on my previous cars... The Tesla ones seem okay so far. I've obviously replaced the wipers once already and have my next pair ready for this winter.

Reactions: Shelburne
I have been driving with the Tesla wipers in 3 Quebec City winters so far and they have been okay. I haven't felt the need to switch to frameless wipers. I did that on my previous cars... The Tesla ones seem okay so far. I've obviously replaced the wipers once already and have my next pair ready for this winter.
Interesting. I just found the originals too flimsy for the Ottawa snow, even the service guy admitted they get a lot of complains about the wipers.

Well, you do need to clean the windshield before you drive :D . Using the wipers to clear out ice with the washer solution to melt it does destroy wiper blades quickly. I've seen plenty of people do that (in other cars) because they didn't want to spend the minute it requires, outside in the cold, to scrape the ice. Scraping the windshield properly before driving helps tremendously.

Alternatively you can start the cabin conditioning a few minutes before you drive and that ice will be soft and easy to remove.

Reactions: rpiotro
Well, you do need to clean the windshield before you drive :D . Using the wipers to clear out ice with the washer solution to melt it does destroy wiper blades quickly. I've seen plenty of people do that (in other cars) because they didn't want to spend the minute it requires, outside in the cold, to scrape the ice. Scraping the windshield properly before driving helps tremendously.

Alternatively you can start the cabin conditioning a few minutes before you drive and that ice will be soft and easy to remove.
Really?... you automatically assume you're the only one who cleans your windshield and everyone else is lazy?

I'll try the Bosch Icons. I've been using them on my other cars and they're much better than any other wipers for winter.

Hey, maybe I could have worded it differently, but that's not what I meant. I was not assuming that you didn't do it. Sometimes trying to make a joke seems lost when written, so I guess I'll apologize for trying to be funny...

On all my cars, I've always changed wipers after 12-18 months maximum, and I've always tried to be gentle on them too but they use up quickly when living in this climate. Yes, Bosch Icons have been good on my previous cars too. I have stuck with the Tesla ones so far (changed once, probably change a second time this fourth winter) because they work ok and people seem to have had trouble finding the correct adapter to make 3rd parties fit on our arms.

I live just below the Vermont border in Western MA. We get a lot of sleet, freezing rain and snow here, though not as much snow as we used to. Anyway, I have had absolutely no problems with the original wipers on my M3. I'm up to just under 15,500 miles and have been thru two winters. Again, zero problems. One other note: I've been driving for just over 50 years and the Tesla wipers are without a doubt the quietest wipers I've never had. My las cat was a Volvo S60 and how wipers were noisy as hell - not just the noise of the wipers on the glass but also the club they made at each end of their arc.

Reactions: rpiotro