Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision Repair--Is this a record?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ripped out my suspension on my MX. The car has now been in the repair shop for over 7 months. Most of the delay was because a key part was out of stock. So my car sat in the shop for about 5 months waiting on the missing part. They had $20K of other parts just sitting--waiting until all was there before getting started. Then there were other parts discovered that required about a week each to get. After finally assembly of all parts they finally began to paint the new body pieces. Then after all of this the certified shop could not get the MX to power up. So they put the car on a truck and shipped to a Tesla owned shop. They have had the car for two weeks and It is still not ready--but getting closer according to my app. This is my only vehicle and it has been very costly to get transportation in my rural area. Is this a record for delay? Been a horror story. There is no one at T to talk to.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Ouch. I hope the parts get their soon. Also, shops need to charge vehicles they have waiting for parts. Our BMW X3 sat at the body shop for 3+ months waiting for one 3" panel. I shudder to think would have happened to a battery over that time.

My Y went to Dimmitt Collision on November 14, 2022. It was supposed to be repaired by April 1. This week repair finish was scheduled for late July. They have had the parts for months, but lack of technicians who can work on Tesla. They do all exotic cars.

Looking at the number of car autions for salvaged Tesla after an accident
(where most of the cases only half of the car seem to be damaged and the rest is still intact),
and the difficulty to get new parts from Tesla, I imagine that car dismantlers could make a lucratif business.
they already do
if u look on eBay, most parts are overpriced compared to "new" price from Tesla, esp all the plastic pieces (like 3x the price..)
although suspension components seem to be lower priced, probably cause most ppl don't trust used wear items...

Reactions: Watts_Up
I ripped out my suspension on my MX. The car has now been in the repair shop for over 7 months. Most of the delay was because a key part was out of stock. So my car sat in the shop for about 5 months waiting on the missing part. They had $20K of other parts just sitting--waiting until all was there before getting started. Then there were other parts discovered that required about a week each to get. After finally assembly of all parts they finally began to paint the new body pieces. Then after all of this the certified shop could not get the MX to power up. So they put the car on a truck and shipped to a Tesla owned shop. They have had the car for two weeks and It is still not ready--but getting closer according to my app. This is my only vehicle and it has been very costly to get transportation in my rural area. Is this a record for delay? Been a horror story. There is no one at T to talk to.
Same shoe here, my MX has been in the shop for over 4 month so far, missing the steering gear which I finally got an update saying the part will be available by mid July. I'm out of car for over 5 months, still making payment for a car I did not even drive. Contact Tesla multiple time, just so hard to even get in touch with anyone. They just mainly focus on selling the car, once it is damaged, good luck.