Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado to California and Back Again Using Superchargers and Destination Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome writeup and photos. Can't believe you did all those miles on studded snow tires.
At Harris Ranch you should have used the original, infamous bottleneck, single supercharger behind the Shell gas station.
I definitely want to get up to Shasta one of these days.

PS - in the Atascadero pic note the Leaf using up just a fraction of the HPC's 70 amps. So glad of Supers for Model S (feel bad for Roadsters)

Photos are great. Love the photo at the Fremont Supercharger.

Thanks! I worked a little getting that composition at Fremont the way I wanted it.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome writeup and photos. Can't believe you did all those miles on studded snow tires.
At Harris Ranch you should have used the original, infamous bottleneck, single supercharger behind the Shell gas station.
I definitely want to get up to Shasta one of these days.

PS - in the Atascadero pic note the Leaf using up just a fraction of the HPC's 70 amps. So glad of Supers for Model S (feel bad for Roadsters)

I didn't notice the Leaf. Great eyes!

If I had known about the older 90kW at Harris, I would have used it. With an "A" battery, that is all I need anyway.

The Haka's are pretty efficient, certainly better than my Conti 21's. My goal is to have studless Haka R2's next winter. I am very tired of the "Rice Krispy" sound. It does turn heads in Southern California though...:wink:

Let us know when you'll be supercharging at Hawthorne again (if you are). Love to stop by and share some road trip stories~!

Sorry, already in Sedona on the way back to Colorado...

The last 24 hours have been great and a good example of planning alternatives...

I was staying close to UTC in San Diego and had talked to the showroom about charging overnight last night. When I got there, both HPWC's were occupied with showroom cars, but there was 14-50 available. I plugged in my UMC and all I could get was the red, error light. I don't know what the problem is, but my UMC would have nothing to do with their 14-50.

It was good that I had scouted the San Diego Service center 5 miles to the east. They have eight HPWC's all at a full 80 Amps. My son and I drove out there and plugged in. It was great that he had an Uber account, and we got a quick ride back to the hotel. This morning, I used my newly setup Uber account and went out to pick up the car and we were on out way east. Yuma was no issue with a 100% charge in an 85 from Mira Mesa to La Jolla to Yuma. Yuma was fine with no smell, but next to the sewage treatment plant...

San Diego.JPG

Yuma.JPG

It was a toss up in time to drive directly to Buckeye from Yuma or stop by Quartzsite. More charge time doing the direct drive, or less charge time and more drive time doing Quartzsite; a no-brainer, touch another Supercharger!

Has a nice stop on the lonely road from Yuma to Quartzsite, and then a charge and lunch in Quartzsite.

Y to Q.JPG

Quartzsite.JPG

Then a great drive into Buckeye, logging six for six Superchargers in Arizona, and meeting ZBB and Jomo25.

Buckeye.JPG

Had a great drive up to Sedona. Sedona Rouge Hotel has a very nice 14-50...

Sedona-sm.jpeg

I cannot say enough good about the Sedona Rouge Hotel! It was a great place to stop, had friendly staff, a great 14-50, and the area around Sedona is wonderfully beautiful. It did not seem like any of the Sedonas Energy Vortexes. had an affect on us or the Model S, but who knows? :wink:

The drive up Oak Creek Canyon was incredibly beautiful and fun to drive in the MS. The road winds up the canyon on the left the picture below and then climbs out in an incredible set of switch backs up the headwall on the right.

Oak Creek sm.jpeg

From the headwall of Oak Creek Canyon to the Flagstaff Supercharger was a short drive. Because it was 250 miles to Blanding, we did a 99% charge in Flagstaff. From Stevezzzz's scouting, I knew that there was the Tuba City Quality Inn/RV Park and the Campground at Goulding's in Monument Valley. While we waited to charge, I found the Cadillac Ranch RV Park- Home Page 26 miles before and before a climb up to Blanding. Calling ahead, I got a wonderful welcome, and was to told to stop by if I needed a charge. They are in the office until sunset. Knowing that I had three possible charge top off points, we charged until the Supercharger current dropped below 20 Amps (half of 240V AC amps on the Supercharger is the crossover in charge speed in an 85), and took off for Blanding with 254 miles in the battery.

Flagstaff sm.jpeg

It was lunch time as we approached Tuba City. My calculations showed we were going to make it to Blanding with my mild hypermiling (max speed of 59 mph), but we decided to try Stevezzzz's scouting and have some Indian Tacos (Strongly recommended) for lunch. Unfortunately the woman at the desk of the Quality Inn said that the only way I could charge was if I paid an overnight fee of $30. Sigh... I asked if there was anything else she could do and explained that I just wanted an hour of so of charging and would use a dollar or so of electricity. She politely explained that there was nothing else she could do, I thanked her, asked her to see if her manager would figure out a policy in the future, walked over to have lunch at the Hogan Restaurant (same ownership). As I was about to go into the restaurant, she came out, waved to me, and told me she had called her manager, and I could charge for free. Amazing!

Tuba City sm.jpeg

Time to head back to Colorado. Will finish updates later...

I'm glad it worked out at the Tuba City Quality Inn, cottonwood; if the front desk manager, Iva or the general manager, Ella had been been on reception duty when you walked in, I'm sure they would have welcomed you with open arms. Maybe this incident will prompt them to create a charging policy and disseminate it to all their staff.

Meanwhile, if anyone else wants to stop and charge I'd suggest that you call ahead and ask for Iva or Ella.

Last edited:
Its amazing to me how many people are still so against using a plug. A year ago (still driving an ICE now) I stayed at a nicer hotel downtown Salt Lake. I asked if there was a place to plug in an electric car. All I received was a weird look and a slightly rude no. I responded I dont have an electric car, I was just checking if I would be able to stay again in the future. Guess not.

Its amazing to me how many people are still so against using a plug. A year ago (still driving an ICE now) I stayed at a nicer hotel downtown Salt Lake. I asked if there was a place to plug in an electric car. All I received was a weird look and a slightly rude no. I responded I dont have an electric car, I was just checking if I would be able to stay again in the future. Guess not.
I went to visit some relatives renting a condo in Ruskin Florida. Since we were taking our Leaf and it was 40 miles I called ahead to see if there was any charging available, even 110. I was was told by the desk there was nothing there. On arrival the parking garage under the condo had a 110 plug about every 10 feet! The maintenance guy said "sure, go ahead, any plug you'd like". I think the desk just couldn't be bothered so no was the safest answer.

Mileage Lost from Wind

We charged to 99% in LV after reading all the "0 is 0" stories. In fact, going to Barstow, the wind turned into a tailwind. Arrived in Barstow with over 50 miles and charged for Hawthorne.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
When the Walmart semi came by, I decided to try a little drafting. I was amazed; drafting 50-100 feet behind the 18-wheeler, my Wh/mi usage dropped 20-30%!

You have frequently warned in your posts about the risks to mileage from headwinds. I see that Las Vegas to Barstow is about 162 miles, with 2.5K ft of elevation gain in the first 60 miles, but then a drop of almost as much coming into Barstow. It must take some fierce winds to make 162 miles difficult in a 85.

In two months I am planning a trip east that will involve the Barstow to Kingman leg, which is 209 miles with almost 1K ft of net altitude gain. People seem to make this jump all the time, being careful. Are the winds on I40 usually less than I15 Las Vegas - Barstow ? If I get a headwind, I will try drafting a truck if it looks safe. 50' is too close for my comfort, but 75-100' I might do for some miles. Benefit at 100' is probably at lot less than 50'.

You have frequently warned in your posts about the risks to mileage from headwinds. I see that Las Vegas to Barstow is about 162 miles, with 2.5K ft of elevation gain in the first 60 miles, but then a drop of almost as much coming into Barstow. It must take some fierce winds to make 162 miles difficult in a 85.

In two months I am planning a trip east that will involve the Barstow to Kingman leg, which is 209 miles with almost 1K ft of net altitude gain. People seem to make this jump all the time, being careful. Are the winds on I40 usually less than I15 Las Vegas - Barstow ? If I get a headwind, I will try drafting a truck if it looks safe. 50' is too close for my comfort, but 75-100' I might do for some miles. Benefit at 100' is probably at lot less than 50'.

I use Wunderground — Weather Underground and their WunderMap (turn on Personal Weather Stations) to look at current winds and wind forecasts. If it looks like much more than a 5-10 mph headwind from Barstow to Kingman, I would do the dogleg via Vegas and not risk it. The display is slow, but you can look at the WunderMap on the web browser in the car. Luckily, the prevailing winds are west to east.

Enjoy your drive!

I've done Las Vegas to Barstow in an 85 going dead into a 25mph headwind. Mileage was horrible, but I set cruise control to 65.....and watched lots of other cars pass me. But by Baker I could see I was in good shape, speeded up to 75 and arrived with 20 rated range. It's all about the speed ^_^

Drafting behind a semi is beneficial back to the point where turbulence hits you. So stay just ahead of the turbulence. Easier felt on a bike, not so easy in an MS.

With the new airfoil attachments on semi rear ends the gain may be reduced.
--

I'm glad it worked out at the Tuba City Quality Inn, cottonwood; if the front desk manager, Iva or the general manager, Ella had been been on reception duty when you walked in, I'm sure they would have welcomed you with open arms. Maybe this incident will prompt them to create a charging policy and disseminate it to all their staff.

Meanwhile, if anyone else wants to stop and charge I'd suggest that you call ahead and ask for Iva or Ella.

Bump.

I'm passing through Tuba City again next week; I called ahead to the Tuba City Quality Inn and talked to Francine, who invited me to just show up and get a free 50A booster charge en route to Flagstaff. She says that since I stopped by last year to talk about charging policy at the RV park out behind the motel, several Model S ("four or five" was how she put it) have stopped to charge. Nice to see that my efforts have born fruit.

Bump.

I'm passing through Tuba City again next week; I called ahead to the Tuba City Quality Inn and talked to Francine, who invited me to just show up and get a free 50A booster charge en route to Flagstaff. She says that since I stopped by last year to talk about charging policy at the RV park out behind the motel, several Model S ("four or five" was how she put it) have stopped to charge. Nice to see that my efforts have born fruit.

I stopped by last Spring Break at the Tuba City Quality Inn. Because of your efforts, they let us charge while we ate lunch. It was amazing setting the cruise at 50mph and floating through Monument Valley!!! Thanks again for your efforts.....I can't wait to do it again.