Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colored PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently live in Southern California (Sherman Oaks area) and plan to regularly take the 5 up to Northern California (once every month or two), so I'd like to get PPF to protect the vehicle, however I'd love to change the color up. Perhaps with some baby blue color. I know I could get a colored vinyl wrap but due to the potential rock chips, I'd love to have the additional protection of PPF. Is there such a thing as colored PPF? Or do people usually get color vinyl with PPF on top (or perhaps PPF with the vinyl on top)? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Tesla owners just love blowing their money on silly things....

Forget the PPF, save your cash. If you want a color change just have it wrapped with vinyl. Its a car, it will get rock chips. Oh well.

You do not put vinyl over ppf.
what's the issue with PPF? Are you in the opinion that its just a car and scratches, chips, etc is just part of owning a car, or does PPF not work? Just curious

There is colored PPF.

Been doing PPF on all my cars for some time now. It’s expensive to have it done right and is obviously a personal choice. I am very meticulous and it has saved the paint from some pretty major rock chips and deep scratches.

You mentioned colored PPF - take a look at STEK Dyno - they are crushing it right now and it carries the same warranty as the XPEL but still has the thickness to protect your paint. We did Dyno Gray this time around.

Attachments

• D630BDD9-7AF7-40C7-8FAB-9CF03B6DF211.jpeg
    D630BDD9-7AF7-40C7-8FAB-9CF03B6DF211.jpeg
    567.5 KB · Views: 3,347
  • 4AB0ED74-E12E-40E2-822F-2A2C0D129C90.jpeg
    4AB0ED74-E12E-40E2-822F-2A2C0D129C90.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 1,058
  • 7FD2531B-7D10-4BC4-9FF6-C86068B0E7E0.jpeg
    7FD2531B-7D10-4BC4-9FF6-C86068B0E7E0.jpeg
    853.9 KB · Views: 1,045
Been doing PPF on all my cars for some time now. It’s expensive to have it done right and is obviously a personal choice. I am very meticulous and it has saved the paint from some pretty major rock chips and deep scratches.

You mentioned colored PPF - take a look at STEK Dyno - they are crushing it right now and it carries the same warranty as the XPEL but still has the thickness to protect your paint. We did Dyno Gray this time around.
And I see someone already mentioned STEK above.

Wow looks amazing. Thanks for the tip.

Looking great! And I see they already got a Lucid to work on which is interesting to see.

I have a question.
I read a lot of posts from folks taking their cars immediately from their delivery center to get PPF applied. And it seems Tesla delivers the cars to customers pretty quickly once they’re built. Doesn’t the paint need some time to cure and bond to the car before PPF gets installed?

I have a question.
I read a lot of posts from folks taking their cars immediately from their delivery center to get PPF applied. And it seems Tesla delivers the cars to customers pretty quickly once they’re built. Doesn’t the paint need some time to cure and bond to the car before PPF gets installed?
The curing is done at the factory.

Reactions: weathergeekdan
The curing is done at the factory.
I could be mistaken, but I’ve read that water based paints can take 30 days to really cure and bond to their surfaces.
I read a post on this forum from a guy who had his car (Model S) PPFd immediately after delivery, and when they went to pull the film off a particular area to fix a mistake, the paint came off with it.
Do you know what the factory curing process is?

I found this older thread that discusses the topic. It seems to have mixed opinions.

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but I’ve read that water based paints can take 30 days to really cure and bond to their surfaces.
I read a post on this forum from a guy who had his car (Model S) PPFd immediately after delivery, and when they went to pull the film off a particular area to fix a mistake, the paint came off with it.
Do you know what the factory curing process is?

I found this older thread that discusses the topic. It seems to have mixed opinions.
I cannot speak for others but i got mine PPF'd 3 days after taking delivery and have had a few lifted edges redone with no issues. If you want to be absolutely careful, i would let it heal for as long as you think is needed before applying the film. Of course, you may run the risk of getting the chips because you cannot contain yourself from driving your Tesla :)

I cannot speak for others but i got mine PPF'd 3 days after taking delivery and have had a few lifted edges redone with no issues. If you want to be absolutely careful, i would let it heal for as long as you think is needed before applying the film. Of course, you may run the risk of getting the chips because you cannot contain yourself from driving your Tesla :)
Yeah, I’m thinking I’ll wait until at least 30 days after manufacture date. That more than covers all the opinions I’ve read.

Yeah, I’m thinking I’ll wait until at least 30 days after manufacture date. That more than covers all the opinions I’ve read.
When I picked my car up, I drove ~2 miles down the road to the PPF shop, no cure-delay, aside from the time it took my car to be transported to the east coast.

My installer did do a paint test though - a small throwaway scrap of PPF, applied to the front, and removed, just to make sure there were no paint issues (apparently there were a few issues in some very early-on Model Y's). Maybe your installer does the same, to make sure the paint is cured enough?