Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Communication to Gateway/Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an 'interesting' problem develop today. Not quite sure how to tackle it, any recommendations would be appreciated.

There was a thunderstorm which resulted in a power outage for maybe 30 seconds. Everything seems to have come back on. However, I can use the Tesla app on my phone to check status as usual but if I try to use a web browser to access the gateway I just get a 'cant establish secure connection' message. Worked fine before. Also using python script I get a socket error 113.

Feels like I need to give something a kick, but what, and what kick. I have seen such outages occasionally before but they seem to selfcorrect after two hours. This one has been going five hours so far as best I can tell.

I'm in UK had have no backup gateway.

No, in fact I map the mac address to a set IP address to avoid losing contact.

As I remarked before during previous losses of comms after about two hours comms recovers. Comms have recovered with no help from me after seven hours.

I wish Tesla had a log I could interrogate on the gateway. Very frustrating.

Has your firmware version gone from 1.17.x to 1.34.x? The newer firmware sends everything over HTTPS with a really weird self-signed certificate that Chrome refuses to allow access to. On my desktop, only Firefox works. I think mobile chrome works. Does your python script disable certificate validation?

I’m on 1.34.3, however I don’t think that has caused the problem. Might have made it slightly worse. I ccne from 1.33.x and 1.32.x before that during this year.

The loss of comms when it happens is for approx two hours, but this time much longer.

I’ve seen the weird access also, firefox and brave will not connect. The knly browser I can get to connect is safari. Losing connection results is no access for any browser.