Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second set of powerwalls/2nd gateway not used during power outage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a planned overnight power outage earlier this week. We have 4 powerwalls on two gateways with solar. Knowing that we would have the outage, I topped up the power walls beforehand. We charge our Tesla vehicle at night, FWIW. I woke up sometime in the night, only to discover that the house was completely without power/dark. I looked at the app on my phone, and it appeared that our first gateway/set of PWs was around the 10% full mark. The car had stopped charging (before full) and the house was dark, despite the fact that the second set of PWs was still completely charged up. Any ideas on what might have occurred AND how I can prevent this in the future?

We had a planned overnight power outage earlier this week. We have 4 powerwalls on two gateways with solar. Knowing that we would have the outage, I topped up the power walls beforehand. We charge our Tesla vehicle at night, FWIW. I woke up sometime in the night, only to discover that the house was completely without power/dark. I looked at the app on my phone, and it appeared that our first gateway/set of PWs was around the 10% full mark. The car had stopped charging (before full) and the house was dark, despite the fact that the second set of PWs was still completely charged up. Any ideas on what might have occurred AND how I can prevent this in the future?
You should probably set your car to charge only when the PW batteries are 90% or greater if off-grid. Then the car will not charge off grid unless the batteries are mostly full. There is a setting in your app for this, so play with hat and set it appropriately.

You are recharging a 70-100 kWh battery with a pair of 13.5 kWh batteries, no wonder it didn't last long. A typical HPWC will drain them 2 of them totally in just over 2 hours.

Since you have your PV and PW split into 2 different systems, you will lose partial power whenever the most used of them loses power. It sounds like you probably have a 400A service with 2x200A main breakers and like many homes you have more load on one side than the other.

The only way to prevent this is to either put all PV and PW behind a single gateway, along with all your essential loads, or to manage your usage such that you pull, power equally from the 2 systems.