Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing PPF/Ceramic options in San Diego

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's quotes from the 3 shops I'm comparing in San Diego

Looking at 5point Auto, Auto Armor and Modern Image

(won't say whose quote is which to be fair)

1. PPF (Full Front + Rockers + Rear Quarterpanels), one is SunTek Ultra, the others are Xpel. Custom with disassembly (still debating if disassembly is really necessary or not)
2500 / 2250 / 2700

2. Ceramic Coating (CQuartz Finest vs Feynlab vs Ceramic Pro)
1500/1500/2000

3. Tint (3M Crystalline vs Paladin IR), rear windshield (one piece) + front windshield + side windows
1350/1000/1600

4. Chrome Delete (satin black, emblems in red)
1100/950/850

5. Powder coating of wheels
1000/800/900

Total : 7450/6500/8000

all in all estimates came pretty close. Which would you go with and why?

One shop also offered an interior coating (CQuartz Leather). Claimed it would reduce dye transfer to my white interior. Thoughts on that?

Thank you for checking us out! Please let us know if we can help you or anyone else decide which package may be best for them.

When it comes to coatings and films, often times it really comes down to the installer as many of the coatings and films are similar. Of course we're bias and believe that we install the best products and have the best techs, but the truth is all three companies mentioned above do excellent work and deserve the accolades they receive both here and other places.

When it comes to 5 Point... We've been in business since 2003. We have (at present) close to 450 5 Star Yelp reviews and our policy is and will always be that no customer will leave unhappy. We're not immune to mistakes but we own up to them and try our best to be the best at what we do for a fair price.

Here's a quick video about some clear bra options that might better explain why or why not dissasembly is necessary or not for clear bra installs.

Last edited:

1. PPF (Full Front + Rockers + Rear Quarterpanels), one is SunTek Ultra, the others are Xpel. Custom with disassembly (still debating if disassembly is really necessary or not)
2500 / 2250 / 2700

2. Ceramic Coating (CQuartz Finest vs Feynlab vs Ceramic Pro)
1500/1500/2000

3. Tint (3M Crystalline vs Paladin IR), rear windshield (one piece) + front windshield + side windows
1350/1000/1600

4. Chrome Delete (satin black, emblems in red)
1100/950/850

5. Powder coating of wheels
1000/800/900

Total : 7450/6500/8000

One shop also offered an interior coating (CQuartz Leather). Claimed it would reduce dye transfer to my white interior. Thoughts on that?

I got Xpel done on my hood, side fenders and side mirrors along with Ceramic Pro Gold done at 5 Point and it turned out great. I mainly spoke to Kristi but everyone there is great to work with and will answer any questions you have. They even got me an Uber ride back to work.

What needs to be disassembled for the installs you listed? are you talking the fender camera? Then yes, remove that for sure. emblem on hood, remove and just buy a new one, 25 bucks. nothing else needs to be removed to do this install properly.

Coatings...out of those 3, Feynlab self heal lite or Ceramic topped with Ceramic light will be best bet from personal experience.

Suntek will look the best on darker colors and it actually has a less yellow tinge to it on whites...we use it daily here for a reason.

Paint correction you didn't mention. Paint will need to get polished prior to any coating. Whether its a simple one step or multi-step, something needs to be done for best results. True, you can get away with just the coating application if one has a tight budget, but it doesn't seam like you are on one (to a certain point obviously).

Coating on the seats will definitely help, simply put...get it!

Tint - make sure hand trimmed and shaved edges and not a computer cut install.

Last edited:
There are SO many factors that go into looking at who should do this work. Who has a long standing reputation of great work? Who has a good turnaround time? Can you reach out to previous customers for refrences? How many stages of polishing are being done? What does the warranty consist of? Is there yearly touchups that need to be done? If so what is average cost?

I would also encourage you to look at Opti-coat as a possibility. Here are some dealers in the San Diego area. Dealers within 50 miles range of 91945 | Opti-Coat LLC

As far as a leather coating I would absolutely not skimp out on that. If you have white leather and you are paying this much to have everything else done and protected it would not be in your best interest to avoid it.

My recommendation is to go in to each shop, chat with the folks there, see the work, and then make a decision based on this experience.

I'm not familiar with Modern image, but I quoted and spoke with the folks at 5point, Auto Armor, CE Detail, and Adonis Detail (via email). Ultimately, I went with CE Detail, and I couldn't be happier. I was all set to got with one of the other companies, but on a last minute recommendation, I decided to check out CE Detail, and am glad I did. The price was similar to the others, but considering the level of detail, I think it was a little less money in the end. For me, it ultimately came down to the personalized experience, the level of detail evident in the work, and appreciating Chris' genuine attitude. He's a true car guy, who cares about his work and customers.

Here's what I went with:
  • Full car PPF (Xpel Ultimate Plus). Minimal seams, most if not all edges wrapped. (Have to confirm since I just picked it up.)
  • Tint. 50% all around w/70% windshield (3M Crystalline). I didn't want the blacked out look, so this was perfect for me, and it looks great.
  • Interior coating (Opti-guard). I was nervous about how this would change the feel of the supple white seats, but I can't tell a difference. Peace of mind with 2 kids at home, and I didn't want to worry about dye transfer or other stains.
  • Wheels/calipers coated (Opti-coat). I was torn on this, because I *might* get the wheels powder coated. Decided I would most likely get new wheels instead of PC.
  • Based on Chris' recommendation, I skipped coating the entire car. The good thing is, since the surface of the car is protected by the XPEL, I can either go the DIY route, or do it later.
  • I also skipped out on the chrome delete, because it looks real nice right now, and I wanted to wait until I decided on wheel color.
My initial impressions are that the car looks absolutely fantastic. I say this having picked up the car with a bit of overcast skies, so I can't wait to see it in the sunlight.

If you're local to central SD, I wouldn't mind showing you the car.

Good luck with your search!

CE Detail – San Diego's Best Detail Service