Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of Model 3 Performance w/ Two Versions of MPP Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The camber on my wife's car was initially really good after dropping car about an inch and a half but then over time possibly because of Road impacts camber started to go out of spec (a little too negative on one side) so we ended up getting the rear camber arms for her car as well.
👍Okay... I'll pick up the camber arms as well. I'm planning to get 19s wheel in lieu of 20s. I live in the San Francisco with bumpy city roads.

Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to delivery in May!

Reactions: dfwatt
So picked up the car on Sat, put about 50 miles on her, I can say the handling is not bad oem, at least for the way I drive. I may need to put more miles on her to verify. The ride is a bit harsher but not terrible, (I have been driving a Raptor for 2 years which ate up bumps). I have a feeling the comfort might be good enough if dialed a little more stiff with the lower control arm bushing. My guess it will feel very buttoned down for the streets. Is my thinking correct?

So picked up the car on Sat, put about 50 miles on her, I can say the handling is not bad oem, at least for the way I drive. I may need to put more miles on her to verify. The ride is a bit harsher but not terrible, (I have been driving a Raptor for 2 years which ate up bumps). I have a feeling the comfort might be good enough if dialed a little more stiff with the lower control arm bushing. My guess it will feel very buttoned down for the streets. Is my thinking correct?
Just to clarify. The Mountain Pass front lower control arm bushing has no effect on the ride that we've been able to determine and no one else who's used mpp's version of that bushing has complained about any change in harshness. It simply removes a rubbery vagueness from the steering. The much better shocks particularly the much better rebound dampening means that the ride is better controlled and perhaps a touch firmer if you get the Sports coilover kits. It's actually a bit softer but again better controlled if you get the Comfort adjustable kit. But either a kit can be set to be pretty compliant or quite firm as the shocks have a very large range of adjustment.

Reactions: CreoUCLA
Basically, if I ask you what your last car was and you tell me a Porsche 911, I am going to recommend the Sports kit ;)
Lol my last car was a Raptor which was butter smooth. But I did have a TypeR and when in Comfort mode they rode well but in R mode they seemed a bit stiff. I think I am leaning in the sports direction. I guess worst case we can switch springs to comfort like the hybrid version if its too stiff. In any case this car is a hoot to drive!

Lol my last car was a Raptor which was butter smooth. But I did have a TypeR and when in Comfort mode they rode well but in R mode they seemed a bit stiff. I think I am leaning in the sports direction. I guess worst case we can switch springs to comfort like the hybrid version if its too stiff. In any case this car is a hoot to drive!
We can always get you the Comfort springs if you need to switch back! The Raptor has more suspension travel than all 4 corners of the Model 3 put together 😄

What year was your Raptor? I have a 2020 with the live valve suspension and I wouldn’t describe the ride as butter smooth. Maybe it’s the roads here in NYC, but the Model 3 performance I test drove road way better than my Raptor.

What year was your Raptor? I have a 2020 with the live valve suspension and I wouldn’t describe the ride as butter smooth. Maybe it’s the roads here in NYC, but the Model 3 performance I test drove road way better than my Raptor.
I had a 20, but mine had eibach springs and different leafs. The roads in NC are not that bad. Also I would say the 3 is not terrible either. Now my wifes srt jeep with 22’s is terrible its like driving a stage coach wagon.

Now my wifes srt jeep with 22’s is terrible its like driving a stage coach wagon.

I have a 2021 Toyota Tacoma (with aftermarket Bilstein 6112/5160 suspension) and it drives like a bus around town... 😄 Having come from German sports sedans, it took a bit of getting used to. The Tacoma is great off pavement, though, and that's why my plan was to have the truck for truck stuff + M3P for commuting/spirited driving.

Now I'm leaning back towards getting the MPP sports adjustable coilovers after driving on more canyon roads with the stock suspension... I keep waffling back and forth between sports vs. comfort.

I have a 2021 Toyota Tacoma (with aftermarket Bilstein 6112/5160 suspension) and it drives like a bus around town... 😄 Having come from German sports sedans, it took a bit of getting used to. The Tacoma is great off pavement, though, and that's why my plan was to have the truck for truck stuff + M3P for commuting/spirited driving.

Now I'm leaning back towards getting the MPP sports adjustable coilovers after driving on more canyon roads with the stock suspension... I keep waffling back and forth between sports vs. comfort.
Lol same here. But I think I am zeroed in on the sports now.

Reactions: CreoUCLA
"Some context is useful – I've had the MPP Sports Coilover kit for over a year and love it, but it is pretty firm the way it's set up, (10/8 compression rebound, and with 265/30 and 275/30 tires), and my wife wanted the best possible ride - she's been asking me to "pimp out" her car to the same degree that I have modified my own! Who would've thought she would have given a bleep! Well it turns out my wife is in fact a Tesla Tweaking Junkie! She started out extremely skeptical, didn't want me to spend "that kind of money" on anything she was gonna be driving, and has always regarded cars as a necessary evil to get from point A to point B. After one week of driving the Performance Model 3, she was changing her tune: "it's the bomb!" Anything that I did to my car she basically wants at least consideration to having on her car. Who's to argue? After all, happy wife, happy life, as we all know. "

Bravo @MountainPass for having two such great kits. His and Hers Tesla Tuning?
Most amazing wife's reaction and indulgence towards mods on her car... I am so jealous!!! LOL