Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP comfort coilovers problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just wanted someone's input. I have a 22 m3p and several months ago got MPP comfort adjustable coilovers. The problem is the front left wheel looks like it is moved father forward bay about at least half and inch. The front right looks like it garters forward that stock and it appears the front left is pushed forward a tad more than the front right but not 100%. I reached out to MPP and they said their coilover kit doesn't move the location of the wheel forward at all but I remember seeing a post somewhere where a person mentioned the mpp coilover kit did move their front wheels forward a bit. Can anyone confirm this? To give some history I bought it used 6 months ago and it had eibach lowered springs. Paid a MPP authorized shop to install the coilovers about 3 months ago. Just want to make sure something couldn't be broken or if it's just the way it is.
78548D8F-A2A8-4870-9430-789A8258E8C6.jpeg

Looking back at an old photo of my 2021 M3P while still on stock suspension, from when I first had 18x8.5" ET35 wheels with 245/45R18 tires mounted, the front wheel also looks slightly forward. Not as drastic as @Medic1977's photo though. Maybe lowering exacerbates it as @heavyD suggests.

I've since installed Redwood coilovers, staying close to stock M3P height, about 2-3mm lower after settling. Unfortunately I don't have any good clear photos since then directly facing a front wheel, and I don't have the car with me right now to check. I'll take a look and a new photo when I have a chance, probably tomorrow. I'm pretty sure my wheels still aren't that far forward, but I'm also not that low either.

Reactions: MdlS3xy
One more thing, @Medic1977 those are 255/35R20 tires right? I think that's about as large as can possibly clear the front knuckle. The larger tire diameter will contribute to how close the tire comes to the wheel well.

The 245/45R18 size I've been running is also a bit larger than stock but not quite as big around as your 255/35R20.

Btw I'm all for fitting as large a diameter as you can on this car, so long as there's no rubbing.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I have the MPP comfort coilovers as well and at home after reading this thread I checked my car parked in my garage and from certain angles it does look like the driver side front wheel is forward somewhat. However my garage is slanted for a drain towards the middle so the car is not level side to side. Parked on a perfectly flat surface at work it looks perfectly centered when viewed straight on. There is kind of a weirdness when you view from just off center.

I did a quick search and there was a thread on the Model S forums about this on stock vehicles so I don't know if this is a Tesla thing where there's a slight variance from vehicle to vehicle but I'm not clear on how that would happen as it's pretty unusual.

While not as significantly, mine are also slightly foreword-biased in the wheel well, and I know they are installed correctly (did it myself)!

Given the wheels’ fore-aft position is located almost exclusively via the compression rod, I can’t think of a way the Coilovers could have caused this.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Curious if you ever figured out the cause of the forward bias? I have MPP coil overs too and my car's wheels look much more centered in the wheel well compared to yours.

I second the opinion that this might be an installation issue. I chose not to drop the FUCAs using the alternate method that requires a narrow 13 mm socket to take out just the strut assembly. It was more effort, but after installation the alignment was almost spot on. If the FUCA is removed it looks like there's more opportunity for misalignment if the original position isn't carefully marked before taking out.

Curious if you ever figured out the cause of the forward bias? I have MPP coil overs too and my car's wheels look much more centered in the wheel well compared to yours.

I second the opinion that this might be an installation issue. I chose not to drop the FUCAs using the alternate method that requires a narrow 13 mm socket to take out just the strut assembly. It was more effort, but after installation the alignment was almost spot on. If the FUCA is removed it looks like there's more opportunity for misalignment if the original position isn't carefully marked before taking out.
There is really only capacity to move the FUCA mount by maybe a few mm fore/aft. I don’t remember if it is possible to install the FUCAs into the mounts upside down, or if that would have this result!

There is really only capacity to move the FUCA mount by maybe a few mm fore/aft. I don’t remember if it is possible to install the FUCAs into the mounts upside down, or if that would have this result!
I recognize that the FUCA can only translate a few mm in each direction, but this also likely means that it can rotate a few degrees about its axis of rotation too. The face of the wheel is approximately 16" from this center, which means just 1° of rotation will move the wheel forward/backward by 0.25".

The factory likely has an alignment jig to correctly position the FUCA during assembly. If removed and reinstalled off by only a very small amount, not only will front end alignment be affected but so too will the centering of the wheel within the wheel well arch.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
They could have installed the Left on the Right and vice versa. The FUCAs are offset so if you have installed it on the wrong side it can move the wheel forward quite a bit. I have also seen the FUCAs installed upside down!
Surprised it's even possible to mount them on the wrong side (or upside down). Simply staggering one of the bolt holes would have prevented this. I guess their manufacturing controls don't require a poke yoke design.