Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of Tesla Powerwall and other Li Ion batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article, quote: "The other day, some other curious people and I ran numbers comparing the per-kWh price of the Tesla Powerwall & what I’m going to call Powerblocks (the utility-scale battery options described on the bottom of this page"

Throughout the article the author calls the Tesla Powerpack the "Powerblock". How odd.

That aside, the author's analysis shows just how much less expensive the Powerwall is per kWh than the competitive products he chose to analyze (no doubt there are other products he did not analyze).

Last edited:
The price comparison is rubbish. Firstly, the Tesla assumptions are wrong. Getting 5000 cylces out of a Powerwall with an average of 5.8 kWh per cycle is an illusion. Looking at the old Tesla warranty you can see that after just 1.7 years the Powerwall is down to 5.4kWh. And 5000 cylces out of the Panasonics is not going to happen in real life for an outdoor mounted unit. The other batteries researched in the article are so rare, that they play no role for a consumer at all.
I would be interested in those test results from the first link however. Will be interesting to see how those units all perform over time.