Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compatible lug nut?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What "standard" make and model of car uses the same lug nut as a P90D? Maybe BMW?

I noticed today that one of my lug nuts was gone. Last time it was off was when the front drive shafts were replaced a couple weeks ago. I seriously doubt the Ranger forgot something like that.

I'll order a replacement, but it'll take a couple days and I need the car. In the meantime I can stop by the junkyard or Autozone to secure a suitable temporary nut. I've likely been driving around for days without it, so maybe 4 is good enough.

Thanks.

Thanks for the response EVS. That was likely going to be my next question since I can't seem to find "Tesla Parts" contact info on their website. I may have to find a junk yard with a Tesla willing to sell me a single lug nut (maybe an extra as a spare) and ship it. That's an unlikely scenario.

Do you sell lug nuts?
We do sell lug nuts, but if you're looking for OEM lug nuts for your OEM wheels, I recommend buying from Tesla. Ours are perfect for aftermarket wheels specifically.

Looks like a couple choices...

upload_2019-1-30_15-20-51.png

I'll call the service center as I can't find how to order parts online from Tesla.

Slightly off topic, but a ranger left my rear lights disconnected, and my Frunk liner loose, and loose clips on Frunk surrounds were placed loose in the car. Took me a couple hours to put it back right. Hard to find good help these days I guess....

Slightly off topic, but a ranger left my rear lights disconnected, and my Frunk liner loose, and loose clips on Frunk surrounds were placed loose in the car. Took me a couple hours to put it back right. Hard to find good help these days I guess....
You may not have an opportunity in this case, but my Ranger visits always include a quick walk-around the car to ensure any components touched are back in place. It seems the frunk liner has to come out for nearly every effort, so that's always a double check.

Although good help *is* hard to find, I've found that my "normal" Ranger is quite thorough. That's why I doubted the lug nut missing was a fault of his process. In fact, he showed me the nice Snap On electronic torque wrench he uses. Much nicer than the Kobalt one I use, but also much more expensive. He was using it to put the lug nuts back on the front wheels after changing the front drive shafts. Admittedly, I didn't specifically check the lug nuts that day. I usually check them a few days later to ensure none of them loosened with driving.

To put things in perspective, both Toyota and Lexus Stealership mechanics had left lights disconnected. This kind of error is not unusual.

They always over torque my wheels because they use an impact gun to pull the wheel in.

I have a CDI (Snap on grade) torque wrench that I cross check with a old Craftman, (before they became crapman)

Even a good wrench can vary up to +/-10% at then ends of their range.

Those #7 lug nuts are being phased out with the newer #8s since the older ones tended to deform a bit after a number of removals.

2018-08-12-turbines-mounted-07.jpg

One of the techs at a Service Center told me they've been swapping old ones out with the new version as Model S/Xs roll through. These #8s are designed to have a plastic cap on them which come in either a short or tall size in either black or chrome (the lug nuts and caps are $1 each). Here's my receipt:

2018-05-13-wheel-swap-prep-08.jpg

2018-05-13-wheel-swap-prep-05.jpg

The one in the Tesla parts catalog diagram above looks like the shorter version. The longer version looks like this:

2018-08-12-turbines-mounted-06.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
When ever a wheel is removed in my province, there is a warning sticker attached to the steering wheel to re torque the lug nuts after 100 miles (150km) Folks can lose the entire wheel for not re torquing the nuts. It happens often. You are lucky it was only 1 lug nut. Take out a torque wrench and go around your car, you may be very surprised at how loose some will be.

Mike

re torque the lug nuts after 100 miles (150km)
Which is my rough estimate above... a week or two. I don't drive much. I found it because I checked.

Take out a torque wrench and go around your car, you may be very surprised at how loose some will be.
Already done as soon as I found the missing nut. I actually loosened and retightened each one. Without doing that, I couldn't be sure they weren't over-tightened.

Reactions: Seawind300
Those #7 lug nuts are being phased out with the newer #8s since the older ones tended to deform a bit after a number of removals.

2018-08-12-turbines-mounted-07.jpg
Those don't look like mine at all. Mine are open nuts, but they aren't short like the #8's. I must have something else. That's weird.

These are mine compared to the Motortech spacer nuts...
TeslaLugNuts.jpg

Maybe they are the #7's and the fiche is just goofy scale.