Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to replacing headrests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an update to replacing the ridiculous headrests that Tesla comes with. I went to a junkyard and got these off of an old Audi I think. They're much wider so it allows me much more liberty to move my head from side to side as I adjust body position on longer road trips.

I did have to take them to a metal shop to get the bars extended a couple inches in order for the seat back to be secured in them.

Remember there's a couple wire lock things that you have to take a flathead screwdriver to push them out in order to get the headrests in and out.

Other than that, I'm a much happier driver with headrests that I can control up and down and that have a wider support for different driving positions, especially handy for long trips!

Maybe this helps somebody!

Attachments

• PXL_20240220_201503622.jpg
    PXL_20240220_201503622.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20240220_201452345.jpg
    PXL_20240220_201452345.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Soul Surfer
Hey man, I'm 6'2" and those forward leaning headrests are the BANE of my existence.
I'm looking for any way to get rid of them, and have rests that won't push my head forward
and my back down into the seat in a torture-camp style stress position.
I'd love to get any info from you on how you got the old ones out, and who did the welding
or whatever work necessary to get the new ones in.

Pretty easy to take them out you just have to take a flathead screwdriver and push a couple pins to the side and then the headrest should come out there's videos on that. Once you have the headrest out give it some measurements or just take it to the junkyard with you to make sure you find something that has comparable dimensions to slide back in. Once you have your new headrest you may have to just get it extended a little bit at a metal shop if you want to have it up more. Pretty easy I'm much happier now with these new headrests