Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complete MYLR Failure and experience with Roadside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a bit of a rant but thought I would share my story from the past few days. I've previously posted about electrical issues with my early 2023 MYLR, caused supposedly by water ingress behind the front left headlight. It's been in a few times, gone through a few headlights, a few 12v batteries, the last time being over christmas.

Last night I drove down to see family. About a 60 mile drive. Right towards the end of the journey seemingly out of nowhere (car hard been fine) I get warning "Front Motor disabled, Car OK to drive". Clicking on the error message says it will probably just go away when car restarts. Car had an update pending anyway so I plugged it into the wallbox and set the update going. Car charges fine no issue, happily gets to 80% and update completes successfully.

So this afternoon I get in, enter PIN and am met with what must be 10 warning messages including big red pull over safely car shutting down (I'm not even in drive at this point and still on the driveway). From the errors looked similar to a completely drained 12v but i didn't get long to look at the messages.

Next step, contacting Roadside in the app. I get a call reasonably quickly from Tesla asking me to describe the problem (the car is now completely dead and wont even open doors and so I assume they can't get diagnostics). He says from the last communications it looks like the main fuse blew and asked if I had been supercharging which I hadn't. He said he would arrange recovery and ensure I had a loan vehicle (sounds great given last time it was in for warranty work I didn't get a loaner). I would hear from the tow company soon.

A couple of hours pass. I hear nothing, so I call Tesla Roadside. They call the recovery contractor (Nationwide?), who basically say "Oops yeah we didn't see that request come through, we'll action it now" (I can only assume they were watching the England game!). Another 90 minutes pass, I hear nothing. I call Tesla again. They call nationwide again. Tesla tell me that nationwide tried to contact me but there was some "miscommunication" (I have no idea what that means as I got no text or call!). I'm assured they would contact me immediately. Which they did, via text telling me to call them. So I call them, I get put on hold, and then eventually get cut off. I call them again, I get through to a helpful seemingly lady who tells me that the Tesla guy is on the phone, possibly trying to sort out my recovery. Leave it with her and she will get back to me. 45 minutes later, I have heard nothing. We are now well into late evening, and obviously any chance of getting there to pick up the loaner has now long gone. I call nationwide back, they assure me the guy is trying to source a recovery for my car and will be in contact soon. About 10 mins later I get a text confirming the subcontractor name and the ETA (23:00).

Recovery truck turns up at 22:30. I felt bad for the guy, he'd been sent out having never done a tesla before, with some vague instructions about what he could do. Im sure it would have been comical watching the two of us attempt to open the frunk (his first jump pack didnt work, possibly due to anti-short protection), and get his jump pack onto the 12v battery. Halfway on to the back of the truck, the jump pack disconnected or was fully drained, and the car locked up and shut down. An hour after he arrived it was finally on the truck. I requested roadside around 15:30, and car was finally on the truck at 00:30. I hope if I was actually at the roadside it would have been faster!

As I said I had no intention of coming with him due to the hour and just being stranded at the service centre potentially, I watched him drive off into the dark, no idea how he is going to get the car off at the other end on his own. I'm not sure what I now do about getting the loaner, or whether it will even still be allocated to me, but I guess I will try and get in contact with someone tomrrow!

Well if you got this far I hope you enjoyed hearing about my day. Will keep the thread updated with what the problem and fix is and how long it will be in for! Also very interested if anyone has had a similar issue with the front motor failure.

That sounds an awful experience. I wasn't sure, but I presume it was after returning home from visiting family? If so, it was fortunate to be home.

There has been similar stories posted here. The HV battery fails, followed by the LV battery.

The front motor can be shutdown because the HV battery is failing.

I'm sure you will chase roadside assistance again in the morning, they usually sort a hire car pretty quickly.

Good luck getting everything sorted.