Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerns after 1000 miles of ownership. Help appreciated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve owned my 23 MYLR (freemont) for about 3 weeks now, and put 1000 miles on it over that timeframe. While I enjoy the car, there are a few key issues that keep me from loving the vehicle.
  1. Steering feel. While I appreciate the super quick steering rack ratio, I do find that on the freeway I have to be super careful to apply just the right amount of muscle tension to keep the car tracking as straight as I like. I had a 3 performance as a loaner for a day, and that did not require any thought to keep it dead straight in the lane with no wollowing. It held its line perfectly as a car should. The Y takes a bit of effort to drive without any side to side movement. Perhaps my alignment is not perfect? Any thoughts on this? Maybe I’ll try increasing tire pressure up to 42 from 39 currently.
  2. Booming road noise. The second complaint I have is the road noise issue I experience. Going over bumps, I can hear a deep intense noise, almost like a subwoofer thump. Over time, I have to yawn to clear my ears from the pressure. I don’t appreciate the noise fatigue, and neither does my dog who hates loud noises. On rough roads, the deep shaking sounds are too much to handle at times. I have read this can be attributed to the hatch area, and certainly I can see this being a cause. I’ve adjusted the stoppers, but no real improvement. I need to install the 5/16” tubing into the seals, and 3d print some hard stops. Hopefully this solves the issue.
  3. Suspension firmness. The firmness of the suspension is starting to bother me more over time. Even on smooth roads, it feels busy and constantly moving your head side to side. I feel it doesn’t smooth out imperfections, but rather transfers them into cabin movement. It can start making you almost seasick on longer road trips with less than perfect roads. I’m wondering if the Tein EnduraPro adjustable dampers might help soften the suspension enough to help it slow down those movements. Anyone have experience with these?
  4. Seat bottom bolster. The seat bottoms seem to narrow to me, or the bolster too large. It digs into my thighs uncomfortably. The M3P loaner I had did not bother me one bit, hopefully that means with a bit more time it’ll soften up.
Overall, I do really enjoy the car. One pedal driving is insane, traffic is not nearly as annoying anymore. The sound system is a true joy. Storage space is incredible. I’m hoping I can address these issues with a bit of time and not too much money.

Reactions: random27
1. Have Tesla perform an alignment. If Tesla declines to perform an alignment then take your Tesla Model Y to another shop that has the alignment equipment (nothing special about aligning a Tesla Model Y.)

2) Adjust the hatch bumpers (there are probably How To videos on Youtube, also threads on TMC.)

3) Alignment may help. Check tire pressure (when cold, before being driven up to 1 mile) Should be 42 PSI on each wheel, adjust up or down +/- 2 to 3 PSI if desired.

4). Set an Easy Entry Profile with the steering wheel tilted up and the seat lowered. Save Easy Entry profile settings. Set driver profile for your preferred driving position. Save driver profile settings.

I’ve owned my 23 MYLR (freemont) for about 3 weeks now, and put 1000 miles on it over that timeframe. While I enjoy the car, there are a few key issues that keep me from loving the vehicle.
  1. Steering feel. While I appreciate the super quick steering rack ratio, I do find that on the freeway I have to be super careful to apply just the right amount of muscle tension to keep the car tracking as straight as I like. I had a 3 performance as a loaner for a day, and that did not require any thought to keep it dead straight in the lane with no wollowing. It held its line perfectly as a car should. The Y takes a bit of effort to drive without any side to side movement. Perhaps my alignment is not perfect? Any thoughts on this? Maybe I’ll try increasing tire pressure up to 42 from 39 currently.
  2. Booming road noise. The second complaint I have is the road noise issue I experience. Going over bumps, I can hear a deep intense noise, almost like a subwoofer thump. Over time, I have to yawn to clear my ears from the pressure. I don’t appreciate the noise fatigue, and neither does my dog who hates loud noises. On rough roads, the deep shaking sounds are too much to handle at times. I have read this can be attributed to the hatch area, and certainly I can see this being a cause. I’ve adjusted the stoppers, but no real improvement. I need to install the 5/16” tubing into the seals, and 3d print some hard stops. Hopefully this solves the issue.
  3. Suspension firmness. The firmness of the suspension is starting to bother me more over time. Even on smooth roads, it feels busy and constantly moving your head side to side. I feel it doesn’t smooth out imperfections, but rather transfers them into cabin movement. It can start making you almost seasick on longer road trips with less than perfect roads. I’m wondering if the Tein EnduraPro adjustable dampers might help soften the suspension enough to help it slow down those movements. Anyone have experience with these?
  4. Seat bottom bolster. The seat bottoms seem to narrow to me, or the bolster too large. It digs into my thighs uncomfortably. The M3P loaner I had did not bother me one bit, hopefully that means with a bit more time it’ll soften up.
Overall, I do really enjoy the car. One pedal driving is insane, traffic is not nearly as annoying anymore. The sound system is a true joy. Storage space is incredible. I’m hoping I can address these issues with a bit of time and not too much money.
#1, I had a 2018 M3 that I replaced with a 2023 MY LR. I don't think there is a perceivable difference in how the car tracks. The suggestions to check
tire pressure and alignment seem like the fight approach. Or perhaps some other issue with the steering or the front suspension. The larger cross-section makes the car more sensitive to cross-winds, but no different than any other SUV. And I don't find it a problem.

#2, MY Model Y does not have a booming issue. So I have no idea what you might do about this.

#3. The MY has a firmer ride than the M3. But not dramatically stiffer. I believe it is just the "Sport SUV" ride vs the sedan ride. And it is not a problem for me or my wife. Most other SUVs I have owned are about the same.

#4. The seats in the M3 were, I thought excellent. And as far as I can tell the MY seats are pretty similar. But as always "seat comfort" varies for different
people.

#1 Thanks, I think an alignment is a good approach, as you mention the M3 tracks just like the MY. The 3P I had as a loaner was so effortless to keep it tracking straight and smooth. There must be a slight alignment issue that's making it sensitive. Even autopilot is a bit twitchy.

#2 There is a well documented solution to this issue, some seem to have it while others don't. Tesla China has a solution already, but parts are not available in the US for the fix. I'll spend some time this week implementing this fix.

1. Change to Sport steering mode.
2. Are you playing music? I found the default system bass too high and had to lower it. The stock "premium" sound system has much more bass than I imagined, but overall it sounds amazing, nearly as good as my wife's Lexus Mark Levinson system.
3. Deflate your tires. My tires were inflated to 46 PSI from the delivery center. I had to deflate mine to 42. If you go into the Service menu it will tell you what the recommended cold tire pressure should be. You can also look at your tire's sidewall rating. Bear in mind, those pressures are when the tires are cold, so do not adjust pressures after having 'just' driven.
4. It'll loosen up in time.

I don’t have anything to add for the first 3 but #4 is real. I owned a ‘21 MYLR and traded it in for a ‘23 MYP 2 months ago. The seats are significantly narrower in the ‘23 than the ‘21; it’s very noticeable. I’ve even had family/friends, who often rode in my ‘21, comment unprompted about the difference in the seats. Luckily I’ve gotten used to it, but the first week I was concerned that it would be a problem.

2023 MYP
I’m a car person and I’m in love with Tesla MYP and M3
I gauge my wife, she drives the MYP and no complaints at all, also loves rhe experience
Follow the advice and hopefully your issues will be resolved

Question, not Monday morning QB but, did you do numerous test drives before purchasing?

I don’t have anything to add for the first 3 but #4 is real. I owned a ‘21 MYLR and traded it in for a ‘23 MYP 2 months ago. The seats are significantly narrower in the ‘23 than the ‘21; it’s very noticeable. I’ve even had family/friends, who often rode in my ‘21, comment unprompted about the difference in the seats. Luckily I’ve gotten used to it, but the first week I was concerned that it would be a problem.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I'm not an overly wide person (34 waist), but man it sure feels narrow. I think its something that'll soften up.

2023 MYP
I’m a car person and I’m in love with Tesla MYP and M3
I gauge my wife, she drives the MYP and no complaints at all, also loves rhe experience
Follow the advice and hopefully your issues will be resolved

Question, not Monday morning QB but, did you do numerous test drives before purchasing?
I did 3 test drives, didn't notice any booming in the test car, but from what I hear its kind of car dependent. There's a thread on here with some 60+ pages that documents this issue very well. Seems like the fixes are available, I'll report back on how well they work.

I knew the car was firm, but as with most cars its hard to gauge on a test drive when the roads near the dealership are not familiar to you. The car is close to being awesome, just need to soften the small bump sensitivity up a bit.

Reactions: kpanda17
OP - there is a setting under controls that lets you adjust the steering feel. Try the three different settings. As others have said, alignment may be an issue. Slight "toe in" or "toe out" and your Tesla will be busy to manage while steering.

I've read a lot about Tesla booming. I've had other vehicles that do the same. It comes down to manufacturers putting dampeners and sound deadening in the right place. My two week old Tesla Model Y Longe Range has a little boom - if I hadn't read these forums, I probably would not have thought much of it. Tesla has not prioritized addressing this (yet). Some Tesla Model Ys seem to produce the boom more than others - see what other owners have done to rectify or modulate here or on YouTube.

Suspension and seat bolsters feel pretty right to me... and I'm coming from an X5 with Air Suspension - but before that I had an earlier model X5 with dynamic suspension that kept cabin lean to a minimum and the ride was stiffer... The Model Y is incredible comparatively with the low center of gravity. I test drove the MY LR three times so I knew what I was getting. I've been driving German cars for a while though...

I'm sure the seats and the suspension will wear in a bit over time!

Sometimes I drive with no music on because, well, the Apple music implementation is flaky and sometimes doesn't want to play. I have noticed the booming road noise when going over bumps in the road. Hasn't bothered me enough to look into it, but I'll search for the thread people have referenced (unless someone knows the TLDR solution).

2) Adjust the hatch bumpers (there are probably How To videos on Youtube, also threads on TMC.)
I was one of those individuals that posted the video showing how to adjust the bumpers. However, I've since driven the car with the hatch wide open and still heard the booming sound, so it can't be the hatch. It seems to be the suspension sounds are being amplified into cabin due to how the car is constructed.

BTW, I've never discussed this with my wife and everytime she rides in the Y, she says she feels a bit motion sick.

Fair
My MYP I don’t hear this, drivin thousands of miles, I have no parcel shelf
I do have three things almost always in the back

3D cargo mat
Pet drop-in tarp cover on top of the mat
Plastic box to one side, holding folded shopping bags, paper towel roll, wipes container, etc
Meaning there is stuff back there absorbing low frequency road noise
And when traveling, luggage also

How is the noise when you are traveling with lugfage?

Fair
My MYP I don’t hear this, drivin thousands of miles, I have no parcel shelf
I do have three things almost always in the back

3D cargo mat
Pet drop-in tarp cover on top of the mat
Plastic box to one side, holding folded shopping bags, paper towel roll, wipes container, etc
Meaning there is stuff back there absorbing low frequency road noise
And when traveling, luggage also

How is the noise when you are traveling with lugfage?
I'm sure if I stuff back there it will help but the cargo shelf by itself, does nothing. I've yet to travel with any substantial amount of luggage.

Also, some people hear the sound and some don't. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've always been able to tell when a car pulls up in my driveway and others in my house can't.

To those experimenting with trunk adjustments, try driving with your hatch open first.

I installed the 5/16" PVC tubing in the rear hatch seals, and that by itself helped tremendously. I plan on doing the 3d printed hard stops as well soon, and lining the rear wheel wells with butyl kilmat as recommended by ilovecoffee. But I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the noisy tunnel, which is a good feeling.

Reactions: tm3lrawd