Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsolved rattle mysteries.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm experiencing an ongoing issue with a persistent metallic rattle coming from the rear passenger side of my vehicle. Almost sounds like Morse code. Despite removing various panels, dampening clips with Teflon tape, checking subwoofer and amp area, removing rear seats and addressing other rattles, I've been unable to pinpoint the specific source of this noise. It's audible even at 2 mph on smooth roads and is a constant presence, it's not detectable from outside the vehicle. I'm determined to resolve this on my own, as I lack confidence in Tesla's repair services. I've attached a video for reference, I'm unsure if everyone can hear the rattle amid the road noise. You can definitely hear it constantly in the background if you listen. Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.

One troubleshooting technique you can try is to download a free app for your phone that is a tone generator. Thru bluetooth in the car, start working your way thru the frequency scale until the rattle appears. Then leave your phone generating this constant tone while you crawl all around in the car trying to isolate where the rattle is coming from.

A second thought is, any chance someone dropped something in the back seat that found its way into the wide open air conditioning vents that are under the front seats? Toys, coins, rocks, etc.. could find their way in there and rattle.

One troubleshooting technique you can try is to download a free app for your phone that is a tone generator. Thru bluetooth in the car, start working your way thru the frequency scale until the rattle appears. Then leave your phone generating this constant tone while you crawl all around in the car trying to isolate where the rattle is coming from.

A second thought is, any chance someone dropped something in the back seat that found its way into the wide open air conditioning vents that are under the front seats? Toys, coins, rocks, etc.. could find their way in there and rattle.
I’ll give the frequency app a try.

I didn't quite understand how this works with an app. And which app?
Would you (or @MY1stEV) mind to explain in more detail?
Interior rattles tend to materialize at a particular resonant frequency. You'll hear people say, "when I'm driving at XX mph, I hear a rattle/squeak in my car I cant isolate." By playing a tone thru the cars audio, you can make the car vibrate at different frequencies that simulate the same vibration the car would experience at different speeds without actually driving. (This is just for interior rattles, wont help with suspension rattles or drivetrain rattles)

There are many tone generator apps in the Apple/Google app store. Just find one that is free. They all essentially do the same thing.

This is a fantastic idea. Not only does it allow you to crawl around the car looking for he source of the rattle, it isolates the rattle by removing all of the other unrelated road and other noises (minus the frequency itself).

Reactions: Patrick_TX
If you haven't yet solved your rattle issue, you might take a look at this post I ran across on another forum. Good luck.