Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Config preference: base 35k or something more?

If the base config ($35k) was available for purchase today, would you go with that?

• Yes, I would configure my Model 3 with the base config

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • No, I would select one or more options

Votes: 46 73.0%
  • I haven't decided

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nvx1977

Unknown Member
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
Model 3 Invites spreadsheet is showing 75% configuring and 25% deferring. This is trending toward not waiting for other configs. When it was just existing owners, the defer rate was 30%. AWD and white interior are the biggest given reasons for deferring.

Rgb0uIk.png

I can certainly believe that some of this is people not wanting to wait longer to get a model 3.

Since we're still working through Day 1 pre-reveal reservation holders, one could also make the argument that these are still mostly die-hard fans and not necessarily budget-oriented buyers. Wondering what the real world demand is for the base $35k config. We may not find out until Tesla significantly works through the backlog of reservations and actually makes the base config available for purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: kelevra
Model 3 Invites spreadsheet is showing 75% configuring and 25% deferring. This is trending toward not waiting for other configs. When it was just existing owners, the defer rate was 30%. AWD and white interior are the biggest given reasons for deferring.

Rgb0uIk.png

I can certainly believe that some of this is people not wanting to wait longer to get a model 3.

Since we're still working through Day 1 pre-reveal reservation holders, one could also make the argument that these are still mostly die-hard fans and not necessarily budget-oriented buyers. Wondering what the real world demand is for the base $35k config. We may not find out until Tesla significantly works through the backlog of reservations and actually makes the base config available for purchase.

The deferring rate now dropping dropping because non-owners didn't find prior lower end Tesla's capable of range they wanted/needed and couldn't afford the higher end coupled with prior owners already having a vehicle with enough range they'll be taking on trips so the 2nd vehicle M3 can be shorter ranged model.

My "preferred" choice would be probably: LR+AWD+PUP. Maybe SAS.

I'm ok for LR+PUP, and assuming AWD would add more than 2 months and/or risk getting less tax rebate, I'm not waiting. If AWD added one month and get same tax rebate, I'd be ok to wait. Which is not realistic scenario, so I'm getting the first production as soon as they invite me.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I belive that the 35k buyers are those that are not die hard fans, are probably not on these forums answering posts, and whom still dont even know what colors are available :)
Well, I'm one of the die hard fans who reserved online the moment it was available, but when I get my invite, I'm going to have a very hard decision. I'm going to have have a hard time justifying having a monthly payment roughly 2x the base cost even with factoring in potentially no tax credit if I wait.

I wouldn't personally. I think the options are well priced if you ask me. From $5k premium package (which includes so many things.. ie. Mercedes or BMW would charge way more I think for this many things), to $9k battery upgrade (40 percent upgrade, 30 percent faster supercharging), to autopilot.

I belive that the 35k buyers are those that are not die hard fans, are probably not on these forums answering posts, and whom still dont even know what colors are available :)

Wrong in all aspects, but I really don't expect Tesla will ever sell any $35k cars. People will get tired of waiting, as Tesla pushes the base vehicle back and back and back. They'll buy something from the competition, which as far as I've been able to tell are not doing a bait-n-switch.

Am I getting tired of this? Yes.