Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirm Performance Stealth (non-PUP) $5,000 refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to revive an old thread, but it has relevance. Living in Northern Virginia, I received my personal property tax form, which listed my Tesla Model 3 "Assessed Value" at some joke of a number which is higher than a performance model 3 would cost today. Usually I just pay this bill without thinking, and knowing that I have a Tesla, I am prepared for what it will cost, but this time I didn't expect it to be quite as high as the one from my previous Model S.

So I looked closer. What was with this crazy high assessed value on my Model 3? So I wrote my county tax customer service. Their initial response was this:

"As the Tesla Model 3 currently did not have a January 2019 Trade-In value recorded by the NADA National Valuation Guide used by Prince William County, your vehicle was assessed at 85% of the purchase price"

So... since there was no trade in value recorded this year, they just used last year's purchase price. I of course had a problem with that. Something also occurred to me... the price changed a month after purchasing the car. So I replied back telling them that Tesla changed the price of the Performance Model 3 a month after it came out and it offered to refund all original purchasers $5,000. I had documentation and the refund check to prove it. (And the electrek article Fred Lambert published which stated all of those things)

The response I received was this:

"If you could forward us a copy of the documentation that Tesla provided you, we will gladly review it and see if we can adjust the purchase price to recalculate the assessment."

I just forwarded them all of the information. Now... I have no yet received a new tax assessment, so I don't know if it will work, but it sounds like it might. So if any of you run into this same situation, maybe you can get it to work! :) Since it might be unique to my area, this may only apply to a small amount of people in the world, but if it helps anyone save money, I thought I'd share.

I hate to revive an old thread, but it has relevance. Living in Northern Virginia, I received my personal property tax form, which listed my Tesla Model 3 "Assessed Value" at some joke of a number which is higher than a performance model 3 would cost today. Usually I just pay this bill without thinking, and knowing that I have a Tesla, I am prepared for what it will cost, but this time I didn't expect it to be quite as high as the one from my previous Model S.

So I looked closer. What was with this crazy high assessed value on my Model 3? So I wrote my county tax customer service. Their initial response was this:

"As the Tesla Model 3 currently did not have a January 2019 Trade-In value recorded by the NADA National Valuation Guide used by Prince William County, your vehicle was assessed at 85% of the purchase price"

So... since there was no trade in value recorded this year, they just used last year's purchase price. I of course had a problem with that. Something also occurred to me... the price changed a month after purchasing the car. So I replied back telling them that Tesla changed the price of the Performance Model 3 a month after it came out and it offered to refund all original purchasers $5,000. I had documentation and the refund check to prove it. (And the electrek article Fred Lambert published which stated all of those things)

The response I received was this:

"If you could forward us a copy of the documentation that Tesla provided you, we will gladly review it and see if we can adjust the purchase price to recalculate the assessment."

I just forwarded them all of the information. Now... I have no yet received a new tax assessment, so I don't know if it will work, but it sounds like it might. So if any of you run into this same situation, maybe you can get it to work! :) Since it might be unique to my area, this may only apply to a small amount of people in the world, but if it helps anyone save money, I thought I'd share.
So I don't understand, North Virginia makes you pay a yearly tax on the value of all your assets? I don't think we have such a thing even here in crazy progressive California. We have a property tax that gets assessed each year but that's it. Or are you talking about the DMV registration tax? That might be based on the assessed value of the car.

So I don't understand, North Virginia makes you pay a yearly tax on the value of all your assets? I don't think we have such a thing even here in crazy progressive California. We have a property tax that gets assessed each year but that's it. Or are you talking about the DMV registration tax? That might be based on the assessed value of the car.

We have Excise Tax on Vehicles in MA. They have their own formulas which I think is based on the vehicle list price with no "options" for the first year and then some formula on how fast that goes down. The Excise tax is usually high the first couple years and goes down quickly. It's paid to your local town. Not sure if town keeps all of it. I have no problem with it. Things need to be paid for that we all benifit from as a comminuty. Different states do it different ways. Some states cost more than others.

Since Performance (Stealth), EAP, FSD are all software options I was never taxed on those to begin with.

"Personal Property Tax" is poorly named. But it is an annual tax on your vehicles. Every state has different taxes in some form or another. (Some have no income tax, others have super high sales taxes, etc) People in Northern Virginia tend to get hit the hardest since it is the largest concentration of high income earners, and thus, people who own multiple high priced vehicles. As with any high tax, people have been complaining about it for a long time.

I would like to also give an update that the county did in fact adjust my purchase price, and also credited me for the difference for the few months of tax I paid last year as well as my bill this year. So I was successful!

Reactions: Perry