Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about Autopilot discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to add my personal experience, I took delivery of Model 3 Midrange in Dec 2018. Per the MPVA, I paid $35,000 for Model 3 + $11000 for Midrange i.e. $46000 (didn't include other upgrades), but today when I configure the same vehicle, the costs is $40,000 ..

So, essentially, I paid $6000 more for the same vehicle just 2 months ago ... of course, I get $3750 more in the fed tax rebate, so essentially I still overpaid $2250 for the same spec car

So, essentially, I paid $6000 more for the same vehicle just 2 months ago ... of course, I get $3750 more in the fed tax rebate, so essentially I still overpaid $2250 for the same spec car

You did not overpay $2250....you paid $2250 more in December than you would have paid for the same car today.

Back in October 2015, I paid MSRP for a Ford Focus RS for my son, as a gift to him for getting a full-ride to college. A few months earlier, people were paying up to $10K over MSRP for the same car. A year later, I could have gotten the exact same car for about $2500 under MSRP. Did I overpay? No. I paid exactly what I was comfortable paying. Did the guy who paid $10K over MSRP overpay? No, he did the same thing. He could have said no, and waited. Instead, he decided to pay the premium to get the car earlier.

Just to add my personal experience, I took delivery of Model 3 Midrange in Dec 2018. Per the MPVA, I paid $35,000 for Model 3 + $11000 for Midrange i.e. $46000 (didn't include other upgrades), but today when I configure the same vehicle, the costs is $40,000 ..

I paid about $2K more in August then if I were to order today. But since I can't order Enhanced AP today, it is not exactly the same (+$1K with FSD or -$4K with just AP). At the end of the day I could have gotten FSD for the price I paid for EAP (or I could have gotten AWD instead of RWD for the same price I paid). So if FSD is +$2K for those with EAP, then I that is the additional fee I paid to get my car 5 months ago. I do not plan on paying $2K for FSD, EAP works fine on local streets and I am paying attention so I can stop at a light/sign.

If you they would have told me in August that if I waited until March for delivery they would give me FSD for free, I would have bought in August in a heartbeat.