Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused on Tinting in AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading through the massive tint forum and came away more confused than ever. Tesla here is AZ recommends two different companies (Shane's and Supreme). One offers Huber Optics and Sun tint, the other Suntec CSP and DVB-IR. FIrst of all any Arizonian's have any experience with these firms? Both seem pretty competent, and I figure if Tesla recommends them they must do a good job. However where I get confused is the different types of tint. I am not looking for a cheap solution, just the best. Any suggestions or recommendations?

THanks

I never heard of Tesla recommending tinting companies in AZ, but the best tint to get for AZ is PhotoSync and neither of the companies you mentioned are installers for this product. There are only 2 installers in AZ that I know of: Cactus Auto Tint in Scottsdale and Affordable Window Tinting in Tucson. There are a lot of write-ups about PhotoSync. I have it installed on my Model S and Model X. I've used Cactus Auto Tint for both installations and they are just around the corner from the Scottsdale Service Center. I would say they have done the majority of Tesla window tint installs and are highly experienced. I have also used them to install SunTek paint protection film.

Reactions: beantobe
Personally I have used 3M Crystalline on five vehicles over the years. I have been very happy. Photosync is another one that is what I would consider top of the line. One of these two, particularly in AZ, should be considered. I don't know any others that even come close. I have waned to trie Photosync but it's just too expensive for me to consider.

I went and visited cactus auto today was very impressed. I think I'm going to go with the photo sync except for the crystalline on the front. Pano roof? Rich suggested I wait. Any other thoughts?
I don't know any reason to mix it up. I would stick with the same brand on the entire car. Warranty, color consistency, etc. Both are great and considered to be the best in most circles.

Another satisfied customer of Rick's from Cactus. He did our S just over 3 years ago with 3M Crystalline (side and rear windows only), and did a full front wrap (fenders, hood, nosecone, bumper, exterior mirrors. Crystalline is pretty amazing -- I took delivery in early June and commuted or 3-4 days before the car was tinted -- and could feel the morning sun on my southbound commute in; once the tint was on, that went away.

I don't have experience with Photosync -- everyone was recommending 3M back then...

The one thing I'm not sure about is the front wrap. My first MS got some pretty bad rock damage thanks to the 101 construction, but I don't think I lost as much value on the car as the wrap would cost. I realize I'm not taking asthetics into account, but I'm not sure the ROI is there.

The counter argument is that on the refreshed MS there is a whole lot more paint flying through the wind up front..

I went and visited cactus auto today was very impressed. I think I'm going to go with the photo sync except for the crystalline on the front. Pano roof? Rich suggested I wait. Any other thoughts?
I've had 4 Model S windshields replaced (rock damage) and PhotoSync installed in all of them. There is a dramatic difference in the amount of heat rejection with PhotoSync installed on the windshield. A friend of mine has 3M Crysteline installed in his Tesla Model S. I would say the PhotoSync has better heat rejection. Interestingly, the Model X windshield, without any tint, has about the same heat rejection as the Model S with PhotoSync.

Also, here is a link to my Flickr album which has pictures of PhotoSync installed on my Model S with the percentages of tint listed: Tesla Model S P85 Photosync 65% + 75% Windshield

• Informative
Reactions: markn455
I've had 4 Model S windshields replaced (rock damage) and PhotoSync installed in all of them. There is a dramatic difference in the amount of heat rejection with PhotoSync installed on the windshield. A friend of mine has 3M Crysteline installed in his Tesla Model S. I would say the PhotoSync has better heat rejection. Interestingly, the Model X windshield, without any tint, has about the same heat rejection as the Model S with PhotoSync.

Also, here is a link to my Flickr album which has pictures of PhotoSync installed on my Model S with the percentages of tint listed: Tesla Model S P85 Photosync 65% + 75% Windshield

Great shots! Thanks for sharing - is your S Titanium?

No, it's brown. But my Model X is titanium:
IMG_2309.JPG

Reactions: markn455
has anyone else done the ClearPlex windshield? I did and hate it. I need to take it back to the installer and I am hoping it was just a faulty install because it's TERRIBLE optically. Anyone else had issues? Also in Phoenix area. (gilbert)

Great pictures showing every angle possible!!!