TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Connecting Tesla Charge cable to OpenEVSE box

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ChrisHenryOC, Feb 19, 2020.

1. ChrisHenryOC

ChrisHenryOC Used to be OC. Now SD.

A good friend gave me the charge cable from her HPWC after water got inside it and blew out the circuitry. She and her husband bought a new HPWC, and were kind enough to gift me their old charging cable. From what I can tell, this is the same cord that Tony Williams of QCCharge used to sell (T-PLug - Tesla 80 Amp Max OEM Charge Cable with Plug - 23 ft (7m) - For 2nd Gen HPWC)

If it's at all helpful, I've attached a photo of the end of the cable.

I'm currently using an OpenEVSE box hooked up to a 50 amp circuit (charge capacity up to 40amps) to charge my current car, but I'd like to change out the charging cord once my TM3 shows up in "3-6 weeks". The problem is that I don't have any idea what the extra wires are used for, or how to wire them up. The J1772 cable that I bought with my OpenEVSE box has 4 wires that are used: Black, Red, Green, and Purple (pilot).

It's pretty obvious to me what the Black, Red, and Green wires should be used for in the Tesla connector. Is the Purple wire the pilot?

What are the Blue, Orange, White, and thin black wires used for? I imagine that these are used to somehow control the charge-port button on the actual plug adapter.

Can anyone point me to documentation of what these what these wires are intended to be used for?

Has anyone done an OpenEVSE box with a Tesla charge cable, and can give me some tips?

Thanks in advance!
    -Chris

Attached Files:

2. ChrisHenryOC

ChrisHenryOC Used to be OC. Now SD.

I also emailed OpenEVSE support on this issue, and Chris responded back with this very helpful info...

The only thin wires you will use are the purple pilot wire and blue charge port transmitter. If you have WiFi you can send the blue right to the 3.3v output of the WiFi controller. All the grounds are the big green wire. the small white, black and orange are not used.​

Once I actually wire things up, I'll post back if anything works out differently than what he described.

• Informative x 2
  3. WhipperDipper

WhipperDipper Member

Interested in how this turned out.