Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Trading my 2016.5 P90D for a 2024 S Standard Demo...Help me Decide!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I have a 2016.5 P90D. Had it since 2017, love it to death, its in perfect shape, 51k miles with a XCare car + battery warranty for the next 6 years. It has AP1, MCU2, 21" Vossen wheels and a Big Brake Kit. I have lifetime supercharging and data. I only get 230 miles on a full charge, but frankly that hasn't inhibited me all that much. It's also paid off, which is nice.

The new option is a 2024 Demo car that is cosmetically the same. Standard autopilot, 21" Arachnids, round steering wheel (yay).

I like to keep cars long term, and planned to keep this one until it absolutely dropped dead, at least another 6 years. I'm sure it could do it, but I'm also aware that it's 8 years old and fiddly things are starting to act up. Half of my brain is trying to justify trading in my S for a 2024 Demo car with 2k miles priced at $70k.

My company has a$500/mo 'green incentive' to drive EVs. They also pay for insurance. So, I can either pocket $500/mo and drive my current car, or pay $400 for a brand new one and hopefully make that one the 'forever car.'

Trade-in values suck right now, so I'd only get $22k for my S. And honestly, that's one of my biggest negatives about this whole situation. I'd get about $5k in prorated refund for cancelling the XCare warranty. That would leave me financing 50k, or about $900/mo if I choose not to put down any extra cash (which is probably what I'd do for now).

I'm happy with my current S, truly. I don't need to change it. But I can afford to upgrade if I want to, and if there are substantial reliability, functionality, or safety upgrades between 2016 and 2024 to justify taking on a $50k loan to get a new one....maybe it's worth it?

Really curious to hear from folks who upgraded from a 1st gen to the new model, if they still feel it's justified.

u might consider waiting a bit to see if Tesla will offer FUSC transfer again (unknown if it'll happen again)
at the very least don't let Tesla to just get rid of it by stripping it from trade-in, sell it private n let someone else enjoy it, and u will get ~$5k extra (seems to be the going rate)
but in the end its ur car/decision...

I went from a mid-2016 MS90D AP1 upgraded with MCU2 which I purchased new late June 2016. I did make the leap to a new 2023 MS LR end of December last year during a window when I could transfer FUSC from my 2016 to my new MS. The biggest benefits for me of the upgrade is the increased range and faster supercharging speed. My MS90D would still hit peak supercharging rates of 150 kW in right conditions, but in general I find my supercharging stops now generally about 10 minutes shorter, which combined with more range meaning sometimes skip a stop, helps with my long distance travel time.

So for me, I was looking at nearing the end of my 8 yr battery warranty, the ability to transfer FUSC, expected reduction on supercharging duration and overall trip times, and anticipation of increased traveling with retirement in a couple months where the reasons I decided to make the jump.

I'm in the same boat with a 2016.5 model s75, just waiting another month or 5 to see if the FUSC transfer comes back. Ours has 80k miles and is in perfect condition, range down to around 220, but they were only offering $12,500 trade-in. I was going to try and sell it for $20k. After driving one, I was pretty much sold. Downsides were no summon feature unless you buy/subscribe to FSD. We have EAP currently and don't need/want FSD. No turn signal stalk was a problem for the wife, but not a biggie. It was interesting to compare the two; 80% more range, charges much faster (I never see much above 120Kw), dual motor, 100Kw battery and more for less than I paid for the 2016. Although my wife was loathe to buy a demo and insists on the ultra-red color.

Last edited: