Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console Wrap Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! I have to say, there really is no reason to make it glossy. The seats aren't glossy. The console strip isn't glossy. The plastic on each side isn't glossy. If you are thinking of the glossy black on the door handles, the two don't need to match at all. Right now, mine are still the gloss black and it ties together perfectly. (Although the gloss black really likes to show fingerprints) If you put white vinyl in the center console there is no need to do anything else with it.

I agree, overall the other surfaces go really well with the white carbon texture. I may leave my cupholder area black just because I like the contrast. I need to get some clear wrap with some texture though to help with the fingerprints if I leave it.

Reactions: wbhokie
I ended up putting on a matte tempered glass screen protector on my screen even though I was someone who, on this very forum, originally laughed at the concept for a screen protector since I couldn't think of a way you would damage it. In the end though, glare and fingerprints were the reasons, even though it was at the expense of image clarity on the screen.

Fingerprints and scratches. Important! Funny how cleaning one can lead to the other though.

IMG_0425.jpg
The Tesla logo in my pics is vinyl, you can see the texture underneath it and I think a full vinyl or PPF would end up looking like a bubbled out install. One thought I had was maybe spraying some gloss clear spray paint on it before install. Actually I think I have some clear in the garage I will go test this on one of the scrap pieces from my install and post the results when it dries with some pics.

Here is how it looks sprayed with clear. The bottom piece has clear sprayed on the top piece is normal. It doesn't seem to effect the vinyl in terms of flexibility I even heated it with a blow dryer and laid it on my counter and it seemed to apply the same as without clear. It gains gloss but seems to lose some of the character in the texture with the clear on it.

• Informative
I ended up putting on a matte tempered glass screen protector on my screen even though I was someone who, on this very forum, originally laughed at the concept for a screen protector since I couldn't think of a way you would damage it. In the end though, glare and fingerprints were the reasons, even though it was at the expense of image clarity on the screen.

Fingerprints and scratches. Important! Funny how cleaning one can lead to the other though.

That is pretty much the summary of my black Tesla owner experience. Fingerprints and how to clean them without scratching. I put a ceramic coat on mine but that just means every micro scratch is ten times more visible against the shine.

23294CCA-9783-46A8-9B75-C3BDED3470C3.jpeg
Really nice work wbhokie! Nice clean tucks on the edges and that PITA cupholder :eek:

Just for reference for the guys asking about the RPM option, I’ve attached a pic (there’s a bit of an optical illusion between the middle & cupholder panels, the gap is uniform when viewed from above)

As I mentioned previously, RPM’s dimensions are such that there’s no tucking, just goes right up to the curved edge. I’ll be the first to admit I was skeptical about this before install, but I found that as long as the film is aligned, the small amount of exposed piano black actually serves as a nice accent, especially at the cupholder.

In the future, I’ll likely swap it out and see if I can’t try my hand at tucking.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
View attachment 340376 Really nice work wbhokie! Nice clean tucks on the edges and that PITA cupholder :eek:

Just for reference for the guys asking about the RPM option, I’ve attached a pic (there’s a bit of an optical illusion between the middle & cupholder panels, the gap is uniform when viewed from above)

As I mentioned previously, RPM’s dimensions are such that there’s no tucking, just goes right up to the curved edge. I’ll be the first to admit I was skeptical about this before install, but I found that as long as the film is aligned, the small amount of exposed piano black actually serves as a nice accent, especially at the cupholder.

In the future, I’ll likely swap it out and see if I can’t try my hand at tucking.

Yeah, I've noticed how it can be tricky depending on angles. I also used RPM. You can see the black accents on mine too but it is much smaller. ( Did you do V1 or V2? ) I would have used Kenriko's kit if he offered White Carbon, but now places like Abstract Ocean will also use colors they don't list if you message them if you want a different cut. (Or you can use Kenriko's templates) - When I did mine initially, it would look good from one angle, but then I'd see a fold or imperfection from another angle, so i'd have to lift and pull a bit to get it right. It's so much better now than it was, but there is a very small blemish and although RPM is sending me a free replacement cupholder piece, I'm hesitant to replace it because the rest is lined up so well. If I had tucked it on the side instead of cut it, it would have been perfect.

I don't mind the gap around the cup holders, although it looks better on some colors than others (When there is more contrast) Feeling the texture on the wrap is nice though. I prefer it over the flat vinyl wraps. Everyone has pointed out that little "3" logo and asks where I got it.

How do you like the wood console?

Last edited:
View attachment 340376 Really nice work wbhokie! Nice clean tucks on the edges and that PITA cupholder :eek:

I really like the black accents against the wood grain. I was close to going with a wood grain but I couldn't find the deep cherry color that I wanted. I may eventually break out the router table and cut and stain a thin piece of wood on my own to get that exact color I am looking for. I actually think I could cut it closer to accurate around the cupholders with a router than I can the vinyl with scissors.

Yeah, I've noticed how it can be tricky depending on angles. I also used RPM. You can see the black accents on mine too but it is much smaller. ( Did you do V1 or V2? ) I would have used Kenriko's kit if he offered White Carbon, but now places like Abstract Ocean will also use colors they don't list if you message them if you want a different cut. (Or you can use their templates) - When I did mine initially, it would look good from one angle, but then I'd see a fold or imperfection from another angle, so i'd have to lift and pull a bit to get it right. It's so much better now than it was, but there is a very small blemish and although RPM is sending me a free replacement cupholder piece, I'm hesitant to replace it because the rest is lined up so well. If I had tucked it on the side instead of cut it, it would have been perfect.

I don't mind the gap around the cup holders, although it looks better on some colors than others (When there is more contrast) Feeling the texture on the wrap is nice though. I prefer it over the flat vinyl wraps. Everyone has pointed out that little "3" logo and asks where I got it.

Ah that’s good to know that depending on the product, you may or may not have any overhang in the cutout.

Mine were the Gen2

Ah that’s good to know that depending on the product, you may or may not have any overhang in the cutout.

Mine were the Gen2

Yeah I noticed that the top two (RPM) sections were not cut well (straight) at all. It didn't matter much since they wrapped around on the edges but it looked like they did it by hand and not with a machine. The cupholder section though seemed like it was done much better.

I'll see if I can snag a better closeup of my mistake later and get your opinion if you think it is worth replacing. In the photo I posted, you can't even see it.

I really like the black accents against the wood grain. I was close to going with a wood grain but I couldn't find the deep cherry color that I wanted. I may eventually break out the router table and cut and stain a thin piece of wood on my own to get that exact color I am looking for. I actually think I could cut it closer to accurate around the cupholders with a router than I can the vinyl with scissors.

Seems like I saw a YouTube vid if someone who used real wood cutouts and taped them onto the panels. i1Tesla maybe?

That would be an interesting look with a dark, redder color like cherry to offset the white (which I think looks spectacular BTW, but my wife insisted our kids would find a way to Sharpie all over it).

Reactions: Abstrakt1
Seems like I saw a YouTube vid if someone who used real wood cutouts and taped them onto the panels. i1Tesla maybe?

That would be an interesting look with a dark, redder color like cherry to offset the white (which I think looks spectacular BTW, but my wife insisted our kids would find a way to Sharpie all over it).

Yes, you could use wood veneers. Especially if the surface is flat. Getting veneers to stay though usually requires some good adhesives though. That would be some real dedication. Like my car, I made my theater room red and black in my house. I was going to make my columns using half-rounds and cover them with a blood-red cherry veneer. In the end I just painted them and did a boxy shape because it was easier. Still turned out beautiful. The nice thing about a vinyl wrap is that it is cheap and easy, and you can just peel it off and change it if you don't like it.

Yeah I noticed that the top two (RPM) sections were not cut well (straight) at all. It didn't matter much since they wrapped around on the edges but it looked like they did it by hand and not with a machine. The cupholder section though seemed like it was done much better.

I'll see if I can snag a better closeup of my mistake later and get your opinion if you think it is worth replacing. In the photo I posted, you can't even see it.
LOL I’m a hack so you don’t want my opinion! o_O

I went with the textured wood film to guard against the fingerprints and it works great for that.

The hidden benefit is because it’s so opaque, you can’t see mistakes like bubbles, so it ended up being a low-risk DIY for an amateur like me to try.

I may have gotten too big for my britches though because I ordered some exterior PPF for my front bumper to try and install on my own :eek:

(I’ll post that progress in the PPF thread!)

Yes, you could use wood veneers. Especially if the surface is flat. Getting veneers to stay though usually requires some good adhesives though. That would be some real dedication. Like my car, I made my theater room red and black in my house. I was going to make my columns using half-rounds and cover them with a blood-red cherry veneer. In the end I just painted them and did a boxy shape because it was easier. Still turned out beautiful. The nice thing about a vinyl wrap is that it is cheap and easy, and you can just peel it off and change it if you don't like it.

That is the part my wife likes about vinyl. I can do what I want and if she doesn't like it she can just pull it off and I can try something different. I love doing woodworking but I would be pretty hesitant to install something that may require ripping up the console to remove. No matter how much I love something today I will probably want a different look sooner than later.

I went with the textured wood film to guard against the fingerprints and it works great for that.

The hidden benefit is because it’s so opaque, you can’t see mistakes like bubbles, so it ended up being a low-risk DIY for an amateur like me to try.

I may have gotten too big for my britches though because I ordered some exterior PPF for my front bumper to try and install on my own :eek:

(I’ll post that progress in the PPF thread!)

Good luck. The PPF install is not easy across those curves. I wanted to do my own PPF and ceramic coat but after assessing my odds of making mistakes I ended up having it done at a shop.

Good luck. The PPF install is not easy across those curves. I wanted to do my own PPF and ceramic coat but after assessing my odds of making mistakes I ended up having it done at a shop.
Thanks Abstrakt1, I got the pre-cut directly from Xpel so I’m hoping their dimensions are gonna be good. My wife thinks I’m an idiot, but she agreed to help install it :p

If you look at it from the right angle it sticks out. I also still haven't bothered getting rid of some of the "fuzz" from the car in the air either. The all weather mats should help. Anyway, here is a closeup of the damage on the side. It's so small but when you know it is there you feel your eyes wanting to look at it.

RyFX-olpycxXQXWHWOOah1bc1s7KRWtxXkvXv7Po1zWYVZhJxs8HJ6LxhQLgArtWMbfZYUAaeUvmFEteizfzHzv27z3HXUMSxB9J8d3M0ARI8Vmp2qOiAhKkoe3XatQ_9TMrKxsRv7izKTecAw1aTCypl4u5YByFY9aPy8taHhyDFApQPc8hafH-7wJuYM27-dtjBkNHAiDSsX6tlmuWb4nyHbUVjOKiB9XvY9iRS__J5HoXjN_04vdt3ig1-hjps5StLJA6P8SRLyIerra21JRRhEL8WvdJqM4cdPmlliigzViAJcHb-v9XwV-DrWo9ul47bcRbc2LWjFh9KCh-ve_esRjIaltmlihBERkRGaaXofajP7X1vIMZSp5hEUP761STk6pQ9HxXvHeXYqMexRoiXtfSOi2vBPIUIinm3GpcFsGkIESAFK8L19R2NuGXDL_Ce0wKf_bP828N_OEm3qqabSROR5j2X4PibxTcvpImu6dnxw1OSB6lvlUiItGD98aDx-GYSQUJobd--2ABdyA3ZpbfPZix-Ve9vcXzVYrWSiC9wBVea_JXqT4h6n75Z78NGF6-R-LBGSnv2LTO51_H_lw_UM_yuVuhC-6ee7dFthTnMpNXj8HUvOM2MoxJDvdt1P0jrp2B7l-vgz_WkS8JXjB2w139GyDmnbu_4KRq0cZTz_d3aZJR=w667-h889-no

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I’m sure any passengers in your car won’t notice, but I see where you’re coming from where you know it’s there so it’s annoying.

Did that come that way? If so, I’m sorry to hear that. Yah, with not much room for error on the sides of the cupholders, they could do a better job on the cut precision.

If it’s a dry install, any chance to lift it, use a heat gun & tweezers to pull it just enough to tuck it into the side?

Else, can we call it good and say ‘it’s within Tesla tolerances’?!? :p