Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer reports model x unreliable & Extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my Model X this week. I recently read the Consumer Reports top 10 most unreliable cars and the Model X is listed. I have the S and have had a few issues, but I am just not familiar with the X. I am concerned, so I am considering purchasing the extended warranty. Anyone with thoughts on the consumer reports article and or the extended warranty?

I thought I read that if at a later date I want to cancel the extended warranty I could get a prorated amount back for any used time. Does anyone know if this is right? I can't seem to find the clause that I read that said this.

Personally would pass on extended warranty ..have had 2 S driven over 100k miles combined ..now have X P100D and with close to 15k miles seems as reliable as my S’s ..problems with X were mainly the earlier models

Reactions: Jen123
I have had both S and X and they both have their issues. These Consumer Reports always seem to be with first build cars, which get better with time. You will be fine, the X is amazing to drive and you will love it.

If you are buying a new X I would not buy the extended warranty unless you keep up to the 4 years 50K. You will most likely get a new one at that point.

If you are buying a used one I would get the warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
Problem with keeping the X out of warranty is the damn falcon doors. I'm sure they will have issues and cost thousands to fix each time. The car was delayed a couple years cause of door quality issues.

That would be a reason to get the extended warranty for sure! If you buy the X you have 30 days or 1000 miles to purchase the extended warranty I don't see an option to buy at the 4yr/50,000 mark.

What kind of issues have you had with the falcon doors? I have young kids and will be using those doors often and daily.

I bet you don't. Tesla updates their cars to often to keep then that long. Even if you do you can buy an ESA right before the original warranty is up. I would wait. Unless they give a a massive deal on it.

There used to be a slight discount if you bought the ESA within six months of delivery. But looking for that this week, I only could find a single price. Anyone know if that explicitly changed?

Picking up my Model X this week. I recently read the Consumer Reports top 10 most unreliable cars and the Model X is listed. I have the S and have had a few issues, but I am just not familiar with the X. I am concerned, so I am considering purchasing the extended warranty. Anyone with thoughts on the consumer reports article and or the extended warranty?

I thought I read that if at a later date I want to cancel the extended warranty I could get a prorated amount back for any used time. Does anyone know if this is right? I can't seem to find the clause that I read that said this.
You can get a prorated amount back for the extended warranty with one caveat -- any claims you have against the warranty are deducted from the prorated amount. In other words, if you have the main screen replaced under the extended warranty, then that $2000+ is deducted from your remaining prorated refund.

Reactions: Jen123