Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contacting Service [how to ask tesla service a question?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure where to post this, nothing seems really appropriate. I had my 3 in last week for alignment service and a "complimentary" check over, since it had just been purchased pre-owned. Service day was a bit chaotic and I'm not at all sure I got anything checked over except the alignment and tire pressures, but that's not my point.

My question stems from the camera harness recall that dropped on the 12/23, and so my question became, did they deal with that while they had it? It appears to me that short of driving back out there and asking one of the guys at check in, there is no way to ask this simple question.

I tried using the "make an appointment" function in the app, in hopes of getting to where I could leave the question as a message, and I did leave the question in the "description of problem" box, but all I've accomplished is getting a mobile service appointment for a ball joint replacement!

So I wonder if you folks who have been around a while can offer any pointers on getting service questions answered without having to show up on site. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the question is "did they deal with the camera harness recall while they had it" the answer is on your invoice. If it doesnt say it was done on your invoice, it was not done.

Submitting an request for mobile service will get someone to review your question. The ball joint replacement inspection / sealing is a mandate I believe, so that gets thrown on there for applicable cars automatically.

Reactions: android04
Ok thanks I'll wait it out and see what comes of it. So much for my complimentary check over...

The email that went out to those of us impacted by this stated that they would contact us when they got parts, so its unlikely they had the parts. The way the tesla system seems to work (just from observation) is that when there is a mandate for something like this, whenever you schedule any type of appointment at all, "their computer" tacks on any applicable stuff to the appointment.

In CA (for example) there is always a line for checking tire pressures as a separate line item, whether you ask them to do that or not. The ball joint thing was on my latest mobile appointment I made for something completely unrelated.

When the mobile tech arrived (in a model S not a tesla truck), after discussing what I actually put in the request for (which was unrelated to anything suspension at all), I asked him about the ball joint thing, and he said "Oh the computer puts that on there, I cant even do it as I dont have a lift in this model S so I need to cancel that line off, and you can make an appointment to take it into the SC to get that done".

Reactions: Gasaraki
Well, I had Milli open her trunk and I watched the wiring harness for any touching or rubbing while the lid went up and down. I can see that the hinges and associated parts of the trunk perhaps could rub the harness, but they were not doing that, and the harness showed no wear of previous rubbing. So -- I figured all was well. Probably at least as good as having Tesla eyeball my trunk hinges, and I have the peace of mind I wanted.

Maybe in six months to a year I'll take the 3 over to the SC and they can look at it again. They're nearly a hundred miles away round trip, so we don't do this often.

So I wonder if you folks who have been around a while can offer any pointers on getting service questions answered without having to show up on site. Thanks.

OP, I’m not sure if anyone really answered your question from above. If you would like to speak to someone in the Service group, just dial the Sales department (where a live person will pick-up the phone). Then, just ask the sales person to transfer you to someone in their Service group. Yes, you can always submit questions & communicate through the Tesla app. However, sometimes, it’s just easier to explain/discuss your question by phone with a live person.

I'm not sure where to post this, nothing seems really appropriate. I had my 3 in last week for alignment service and a "complimentary" check over, since it had just been purchased pre-owned. Service day was a bit chaotic and I'm not at all sure I got anything checked over except the alignment and tire pressures, but that's not my point.

My question stems from the camera harness recall that dropped on the 12/23, and so my question became, did they deal with that while they had it? It appears to me that short of driving back out there and asking one of the guys at check in, there is no way to ask this simple question.

I tried using the "make an appointment" function in the app, in hopes of getting to where I could leave the question as a message, and I did leave the question in the "description of problem" box, but all I've accomplished is getting a mobile service appointment for a ball joint replacement!

No they did not deal with it. They will contact you when they have the parts and ready to do the recall for your car.