Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate all the positive comments on the DWS06 PLUS tires and the feedback on the 255/35/20 size working on the Uberturbine wheels.

I went ahead and had the continental DWS06 PLUS installed today. Really love the look. It looks as aggressive as my past Evo X setup. I like that there is more tire protecting the rim and that the sidewall is no longer stretched but instead has a nice roundness to it(beefier). I also have 20mm spacers in the rear and 15mm spacers up front and no rubbing on stock height.

In a few months I will be having Ohlins installed with at least a 20mm drop. I will see if the spacers will still work or whether I will have to remove them. At some point, I plan to get aftermarket wheels with the proper offset. So far the tires feel great and no extra noise that I can tell.

I appreciate all the positive comments on the DWS06 PLUS tires and the feedback on the 255/35/20 size working on the Uberturbine wheels.

I went ahead and had the continental DWS06 PLUS installed today. Really love the look. It looks as aggressive as my past Evo X setup. I like that there is more tire protecting the rim and that the sidewall is no longer stretched but instead has a nice roundness to it(beefier). I also have 20mm spacers in the rear and 15mm spacers up front and no rubbing on stock height.

In a few months I will be having Ohlins installed with at least a 20mm drop. I will see if the spacers will still work or whether I will have to remove them. At some point, I plan to get aftermarket wheels with the proper offset. So far the tires feel great and no extra noise that I can tell.

Post a picture!

0C198584-8A14-44AB-B392-7C20E912DA64.jpeg
EC812644-6352-470A-AAC3-EB8C46A18D27.jpeg
1D903AD7-AA2E-46AE-8153-089CA488A00C.jpeg

just looking at CR tests. I think their DWS Plus results are new. Gets pretty bad results for rolling resistance.

I have perceived some minor drop in range compared to prior OEMs -- but overall I am still really happy with ride and handling.

Attachments

• IMG_1825.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 227
just looking at CR tests. I think their DWS Plus results are new. Gets pretty bad results for rolling resistance.

I have perceived some minor drop in range compared to prior OEMs -- but overall I am still really happy with ride and handling.
I had them on my M3 and drove 10K miles on them… handled great all year round (Northern Virginia), looked good on the rims, negligible increase in noise, and range decrease that wasn’t more than 5% (if that). I’m going to put these on my Model S when the time comes in a few years.

Reactions: YYZ-IAD
I have had them on all 3 my Model S's and love them. I never got more than 9000 miles out of them in the past (run 22's with a lowered stance) but on the 2022 I had my tire guy flip them inside out (run them on the opposite side of the car) from about 12,000 miles to now, 24,000 and they are still going strong. The new suspension setup on the Palladium Model S definitely has less camber when lowered.

Absolutely no noticeable performance issues when running them inside out.

I wonder how they compare to the A/S 3+ or PS4 AS. The A/S 3+ netted me a drop in efficiency by a few percent vs. the LRR MXM4, but that comparison also included going from 19 to 20 inch wheels.

I wonder how they compare to the A/S 3+ or PS4 AS. The A/S 3+ netted me a drop in efficiency by a few percent vs. the LRR MXM4, but that comparison also included going from 19 to 20 inch wheels.
If you have true winter stay far away from the A/S+ because they're ONLY a three-season-tire. I was tricked by the reviews that was a tick better than the DWS 06+ in winter driving which was wholly inaccurate in my personal first-hand experience driving w/them in Colorado winter. I initially thought they might be better at nearly twice the price tag but I was more than happy to throw those in the trash and go back to the DWS 06+ plus keep some money in my pocket. The reviews I read at popular tire sellers are either fake or the real people leaving them live in tropic areas and their idea of "winter" is different than mine.

• Informative
Reactions: YYZ-IAD and AMPd
I just drive my truck when it snows. No problem there.
If by "truck" you mean pickup truck, these cars with proper tires are better in the snow than a pickup truck due largely to how heavy they are (very similar to a quarter-ton p/u truck and much heavier than your typical sedan) they weight distribution and how the computers/sensors handle slip and various traction loss conditions plus how many times a second they can adjust. Not to mention the human comforts that come from resistive heat and how quickly the cabin can be heated in bitter cold temps. The first winter we owned these I kept my p/u truck thinking I would need it in the winter. I sold that thing as soon as I realized that these cars (again, with proper tires) were better in the winter here in Colorado. I just raise the ride height in extreme conditions where clearance is an issue and anything beyond that I really don't need to go out anyway. Haven't had an issue yet and last year we had a 2ft blizzard to end the season.

Reactions: GeoX750
I'm familiar with EV traction control and heat, but my Ridgeline is terrific in the snow thanks to AWD, good A/T tires, and decent ground clearance (well, compared to most cars, at least). And since it's 15 years old I don't have to wash it until the spring. I wonder if I'd feel the same if I'd kept my Lightning...

Anyway, none of these tires in this thread are made for trucks.

I'm familiar with EV traction control and heat, but my Ridgeline is terrific in the snow thanks to AWD, good A/T tires, and decent ground clearance (well, compared to most cars, at least). And since it's 15 years old I don't have to wash it until the spring. I wonder if I'd feel the same if I'd kept my Lightning...

Anyway, none of these tires in this thread are made for trucks.
I, too, thought my p/u truck was good in the snow. It didn't suck but it wasn't even as good as their SUV counterparts in the same conditions. Example: My 4x4 Trailblazer was better in the snow than my 4x4 Dakota. Very similar vehicles only one was an SUV and one had a truck bed.

Due to pickup truck's wight distribution (more than 50% forward of center) making the back end light and their high center of gravity (trucks & SUVs both are impacted by this similarly) they're just not as well balanced as a Tesla Model S which has a perfect 50/50 distro, similar weight for being planted but much lower center of gravity they're just better in 90% of the snow conditions we face here in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains of Northern Colorado. There's about 5-10% of the time where we get snow measured in feet where my 4x4 p/u trucks would have been better. Even then I just wouldn't go out because it's far too dangerous.

It would have to be some sort of emergency where lives were in the balance that forced me out in conditions that my Model S on the High suspension setting couldn't handle. Clearance when there's super deep ruts or drifts are really the only concern with these as long as you can raise the ride height. After owning one Model S w/coils we only got the SaS equipped cars because that's an important feature for the conditions I'm describing. Even though all of that kind of tech certainly helps it's really just the balance and distribution of the weight that makes Model S so planted & controllable in snow. In the end, you can try to fight physics all day long but eventually you realize it's just easy to side with physics for the best result.

YMMV though as you may live in the Swiss Alps or high up above me in the Rocky Mountains where snow measured in the feet rather than inches is a regular occurrence. Or perhaps you live in an area that gets similar snow but with crazy wings that makes drifts as all or taller than houses on a regular basis.

But yeah, it's a thread about sedan tires so we've certainly got off on a bit of a tangent on this one. 😁 In an effort to bring it back I will say that I'm looking at another Model S currently that is in California. It has Ultra High Performance tires on it so first order of business when (read: if) we take delivery will be to drive it straight to a Discount Tire to get DSW 06+ tires mounted for the drive back home across the Rocky Mountain pass of I70 in the winter. For me, when winter driving in one of these is important, that's the only tire I trust until something better comes along. Even then, I keep getting tricked by something new that claims to be better but never pans out. I always go back to these and they never let me down.

Reactions: YYZ-IAD
It has Ultra High Performance tires on it so first order of business when (read: if) we take delivery will be to drive it straight to a Discount Tire to get DSW 06+ tires mounted for the drive back home across the Rocky Mountain pass of I70 in the winter. For me, when winter driving in one of these is important, that's the only tire I trust until something better comes along. Even then, I keep getting tricked by something new that claims to be better but never pans out. I always go back to these and they never let me down.
My A/S 3+ are just about down to the wear bars and I'll very likely be getting a set of the DWS 06+ to replace them. They have very good reviews, are said to be quieter overall, and I'll happily take the $160 savings. The Michelins have been very consistent and confidence inspiring in both the dry and wet, but they are getting pretty noisy now as I've only got about 1/32 of life left in them. Since it sounds like you've driven both, how are the Contis as they get close to the wear bars? How did you think they compare to the A/S 3+ in non-winter conditions?

My A/S 3+ are just about down to the wear bars and I'll very likely be getting a set of the DWS 06+ to replace them. They have very good reviews, are said to be quieter overall, and I'll happily take the $160 savings. The Michelins have been very consistent and confidence inspiring in both the dry and wet, but they are getting pretty noisy now as I've only got about 1/32 of life left in them. Since it sounds like you've driven both, how are the Contis as they get close to the wear bars? How did you think they compare to the A/S 3+ in non-winter conditions?
That's a pretty difficult thing to try to quantify since 1) it's subjective and 2) the only real way to do this as close to scientifically as possible is to have both types of tires near the wear bars at the same time to test them back to back. Otherwise, new tires almost always sound better so every time you get a new tires it's pretty much the quietest tires you've ever had if your previous tires were shot.