Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest edition of strange new noises in the garage from the car now seems to be the condenser fans coming on. They have been running at least 3 separate occasions since the arrival of 2022.10.8.1, and while some days have been above 30 degrees C, I know once it was only 24 C and after a short drive, car plugged in, fans were running. No cabin conditioning was on. Maximum SOC is set at 65%. Car was probably only at 50% SOC or so when they started.

Pretty sure I have never had the fans come on in my garage charging with a 48 A Tesla wall connector before. (except when charging to >90% soc before big road trips) Doesn't really concern me though: If mothership feels that will extend the life of the battery and keep it from spontaneously combusting in the garage, please do. :)

If I notice it to be a consistent trend I may reduce the charge rate to a lower current to see if that prevents the fans from running and save some energy.

The latest edition of strange new noises in the garage from the car now seems to be the condenser fans coming on. They have been running at least 3 separate occasions since the arrival of 2022.10.8.1, and while some days have been above 30 degrees C, I know once it was only 24 C and after a short drive, car plugged in, fans were running. No cabin conditioning was on. Maximum SOC is set at 65%. Car was probably only at 50% SOC or so when they started.

Pretty sure I have never had the fans come on in my garage charging with a 48 A Tesla wall connector before. (except when charging to >90% soc before big road trips) Doesn't really concern me though: If mothership feels that will extend the life of the battery and keep it from spontaneously combusting in the garage, please do. :)

If I notice it to be a consistent trend I may reduce the charge rate to a lower current to see if that prevents the fans from running and save some energy.

Are you on the original battery?

Charged to 80% on Friday night...Saturday morning, no noise!
Charged to 80% on Monday night...Tuesday morning, noise (and SoC had dropped from 80% at 1 am to 77% at 8 am). Though the pumps turned off when the car/AC turned on - usually the pump would continue running even with the car in motion until I was under 74%.

Reactions: Droschke
yeah my AC fans can come on during a charge at 40A for sure. it doesn't stay on for the entire time the car is charging, though. I haven't paid a lot of attention, but it seems to come on more often on really hot days. my garage does get pretty hot, which is annoying. The humming, which is usually the coolant pump running without needing the AC to run (seems like sort of a byproduct of the contactors being closed, or maybe the car is trying to do a halfway, sort of less noisy job of normalizing heat across the battery) is present often after long charges (say 20-70%) and often at higher soc's, and takes the soc down a few notches; sometimes 1%, sometimes 3%, and then stops.

Like others, I've noticed that with later updates, the coolant pump is less draconian on vampire drain now, because it seems to be running much less often (less predictable, whereas it was very systematic in 2020). This is probably not because Tesla decided we'd suffered enough vampire drain, but rather they realized they are going to have a mass failure of 100k coolant pumps all at once with this kind of abuse and thought another class action would be in the offing :D

I just noticed the constant humming coming from under the front of the car. Have a 12v battery low voltage warning on screen, now waiting for SC to replace the 12V. Not sure what the cause is, but certainly the humming noise is identical to the videos posted in here. Did anyone find a solution?

I just noticed the constant humming coming from under the front of the car. Have a 12v battery low voltage warning on screen, now waiting for SC to replace the 12V. Not sure what the cause is, but certainly the humming noise is identical to the videos posted in here. Did anyone find a solution?
Forgot to mention, car is currently at 50% and plugged in but not charging. Have tried unplugging, powering off, rebooting, none stops the humming. It’s been parked for days and the humming never stopped. There is an update in queue but because the 12V is low so it won’t let me update until the 12V is replaced.

I have the same noise on my MS in the garage, if I open the door and the AC and all the fans turned on, then it stops. Usually it happens in the morning after parking overnight, I have scheduled charging at 11am to 80% (solar peak production), it doesn’t matter whether the car is plugged in or not. I'm not sure how often it happens but noticed it for at least 4 times recently but seems to have a correlation with more usage the night before. I also noticed more mysterious vampire drain these days.

I have scheduled a service visit for diagnostic but it seems a waste of 🤑... the person who replied in the app doesn’t seem to know anything and every concern becomes a separate $205 / hr item. I hope this is not a coolant pump issue..

Last edited:
  • Informative

There is no solution for this. Your battery must be old enough to get this kind of treatment from Tesla firmware. The behavior is by firmware design. Talk to Tesla Service Center to eliminate any other malfunctions.

@Uglykongx , @cbdream99 - It would really be helpful when describing the issue also to include some info about your car, Model/year, battery capacity, software version, miles on the car, etc.

Thanks.
Mine is 17 S75 53k miles 2022.12.3.20. I didn’t hear any noise until recently, I have mobile ranger changed filters before that, but this may be completely red herring or I just didn’t pay attention before, plus this year is super hot… cannot really tell one way or other.

Mine is 17 S75 53k miles 2022.12.3.20. I didn’t hear noise until recently, I have mobile ranger changed filters before that, but this may be completely red herring or I just didn’t pay attention before, cannot really tell one way or other.

Thanks for the info. If it's HV battery related, the behavior is by design. There might be other parts of the car malfunction as well which needs to be looked at by Tesla. In my case, it was HV battery related.

The frequent recharging of the worn out 12V battery by HV battery also produces the humming noise. An increase of vampire drain is also indicative of 12V battery being charged more often.

Reactions: cbdream99
Thanks for the info. If it's HV battery related, the behavior is by design. There might be other parts of the car malfunction as well which needs to be looked at by Tesla. In my case, it was HV battery related.

The frequent recharging of the worn out 12V battery by HV battery also produces the humming noise. An increase of vampire drain is also indicative of 12V battery being charged more often.
Thanks @Droschke , I also suspect the 12V battery since it’s been 5 years, I bought the ohmmu but decided to delay installing it until Tesla get back to me just avoid they blame the third party battery and decline any warranty (extended) repair.

• Informative
Ok reporting back. The humming noise is confirmed to be the water pump (it has been continuously running for as long as the 12V battery low voltage warning is on screen). After replacing the 12v battery, the humming is gone. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Makes perfect sense. Bad 12V gets charged very frequently by the HV battery causing the pumps to run. A weak 12V is not the only culprit, but definitely is one. Glad it all worked out.

Was it done by the mobile service?

Reactions: Uglykongx
I don't have any 12V battery warning yet, but next week I will take it to SC to also check for suspension, will report next week.
Hi,

Has replacing 12v battery helped in your case? I'm in same boat as you. No 12V messages yet, but car has been running water pumps at 100% 24x7. SC replaced one of pumps already and they blame hot weather in UK! I have scan my Tesla app and pack temperature is at 34C while I'm writing this post at 4am with outside temp of 19C. It stopped charging at 90% few hours ago and car was stationary since 10.30pm. Will check pack temperature at 6am...