Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New '23 MY Humming Noise when Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Canada, and I received my new '23 MY. Super excited to be part of the club!

I noticed that the car makes a humming noise, which runs all night. It can be heard from the exterior and interior. I also checked Tesla manual and listened to the normal noises, but this doesn't seem to fall in that category. Car only has 125km (78 miles)

The car is parked indoors in that is ~10 deg C (50 deg F). Sentry mode is on, but is off when the car is parked home. Battery drop was about 3% overnight and I'm not sure if this is contributing to it.

I sent a service request to Tesla, but would also appreciate the help from the community.

Thanks

It's normal. The computer is water cooled. When it's on you hear the pumps running. If you connected it to wifi your car may be downloading an update or something. Turn off sentry mode and make sure your doors are locked. If you have sentry off at home, make sure you home location is correct on the map. Also every time you open the app on your phone it will turn on the car.

You can do a reset of the computer by holding down both scroll wheel buttons. You will see the car turn off then boot back up.

Thanks! I think the issue is because I didn't set my home in the maps. This was causing sentry mode to be active all night, which also explains the battery drain.

Noise turned off once I disabled sentry mode.

Yep sentry mode can't turn off if the car doesn't know where you live.

Taken from the manual about setting up sentry mode to exclude home:

"To set up your Home or Work location, touch Navigate > Set Home/Set Work. To set up a Favorite, touch the star when viewing an address on the map. Manually turning Sentry Mode on or off using the touchscreen or the mobile app overrides your Home, Work, or Favorite exclusion preferences until the next time you drive."